Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a
Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 328
spla300 wrote:
Are u a guard or something?
Have u got any idea how many ppl do this sort of stuff and never bother sending out their logbook?
Loads of civics going around with big ass engines in them their bonnets don't even close properly

spla300, this may be the done thing but you would be well advised to protect yourself from your insurance company if you are doing this. Should an accident occur with a large claim involved they will track everything in your life to ensure they can void your insurance somehow. Some of your posts here will facilitate them in doing exactly this. Just because every other fool does it doesn't make it right or absolve you of your responsibility. The claim would follow you, strip you of any and all assets to pay out.

MartyJ and most on this forum would try to advise you in this direction

Anyway the loading on a turbo is not any worse than a N/A infact its harder for me to get insured on a N/A than a Turbo but I still have it insured as an N/A because if they can use it they will.

If your going to do something dumb stay stum.

There are many people on this site older and wiser than your intentions would seem to make you out, and you would be well advised to accept nudges to the best way of doing things from others experiences.

It is not in this sites interest to promote uninsurered driving and that is what you would be doing by not declaring it.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/09/20 15:25 By slipsliderg.
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP
The topic has been locked.

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 140
Lol funny, when I was a kid I did want to be a guard.

You did ask about insurance. I am just offering some friendly advise before you go ahead with a engine swap, take it or leave it.

Nothing worse than somebody saying "I could have told you that" after the worst has happened.
Marty J
Addict
graphgraph

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 217
John@ECC wrote:
Would love to do a V6 one

It's official .... ECC will do the first V6 swap for the price of the engine with free labour

Only joking John - you can pick yourself off the floor

slipsliderg wrote:
some very wise words

Spla: you'd do well to take note of what Sliper has said in his post. In the worst case scenario you could lose everything and end up in jail. You need to be sensible and legal if you are going to modify the car even if the mod is to make exactly the same as a different production variant of the same car.

I would suggest you do your research on the engine options vs buying a different 2. The rev5 that is for sale is about the right price in my opinion. The fact that it hasn't been messed with means that it will be as reliable as it can be for its age. A car with mods or evidence of previous mods could be more problematic as you dont know what additional stresses the engine has been put under by people making stupid and uninformed mods in the name of bragging rights on a dyno day.
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15
Last Edit: 2011/09/20 22:07 By Spanky.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 72
Marty J wrote:
By law you have to notify local authorities of a change of engine if the car is to be driven on public roads. If you do not notify the insurance company of the engine change and you have a accident then your insurance is null and void.

Revision 1 engines by design are not as robust or as powerful as later 3SGTE models.

By law you have to keep to the speed limit too and not go sideways on public roads otherwise you could get done for dangerous driving.

I had an accident before €7000 worth of damage and when the insurance person came around to look at the car he never even looked under the bonnet. so as long as you dont go mad with engine modifications and massive hp output ur alright.
And sure all im doing is adding a little turbo, the engine wont really stand out
spla300
Booooost!!!
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 72
Quandry wrote:
Can you get a photo of the turbo next to something familiar like a 10 eur note?

Sorry didnt have money on me at the time all i could find was a helmet, rear mr2 led break light and a jack russel lol

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
spla300
Booooost!!!
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 217
spla300 wrote:
Marty J wrote:
By law you have to notify local authorities of a change of engine if the car is to be driven on public roads. If you do not notify the insurance company of the engine change and you have a accident then your insurance is null and void.

Revision 1 engines by design are not as robust or as powerful as later 3SGTE models.

By law you have to keep to the speed limit too and not go sideways on public roads otherwise you could get done for dangerous driving.

I had an accident before €7000 worth of damage and when the insurance person came around to look at the car he never even looked under the bonnet. so as long as you dont go mad with engine modifications and massive hp output ur alright.
And sure all im doing is adding a little turbo, the engine wont really stand out

Breaking speed limits is one thing, using false information to obtain motor insurance is a completely different thing all together that could land you in a world of pain.

You are obviously a very sensible person who presents a reasoned argument in response to all advice given to you on this website

Just to be clear, my previous statement is total sarcasm.

You would be well advised to stop advertising the fact you intend to obtain car insurance with fraudulent information and go to a different site where ridiculous ideas on car modifications are entertained.

I would suggest this site www.ricerforums.com

If you want to be sensible about your car or contribute to this website then please do so, if not then take my advice above.

I will not be posting here again so for that reason ..... I'm out
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15
Last Edit: 2011/09/21 13:43 By Spanky.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 314

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

:laugh:
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 30
have a go at it.

I've successfully boosted loads of engines.

EG

Pug 3.0V6 took 7psi all day
Pug Mi16 took 7psi all day
mark239
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

As to the points on insurance - I'd say 75% of Glanzas in this country are insured as Starlet non-turbos.

When bored in traffic or in car parks having lunch I like to play the run the Glanza plate through the askmid.com website game.

Nearly every one comes up as 'Toyota Starlet NOT IMPORT'
mark239
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

people who don't declare their mods SHOULD NOT BE ON THE ROAD.

If you cant afford to insure it, sell it.

Youre fucking up MY insurance and everyone elses.
mark239
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 154
mark239 wrote:
As to the points on insurance - I'd say 75% of Glanzas in this country are insured as Starlet non-turbos.

When bored in traffic or in car parks having lunch I like to play the run the Glanza plate through the askmid.com website game.

Nearly every one comes up as 'Toyota Starlet NOT IMPORT'

This is very true and then when they plead ignorance when their in the middle of a claim it goes unheard and it gets turned down anyways. I wish I had a pound for every time this happens. Though in saying that the same applies for exhausts, induction kits, rims and and bald tyres.
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/09/25 22:23 By Infamous.

Re: Bolt a turbo straight onto an n/a 10 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 148
This thread has become a shrine to ignorance, can an admin or mod please close it? Thanks.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Go to topPage: 12