Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30
My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 154
Well I said I'd put up a thread about my new 2, so here goes.
Rather than just sticking up some pictures I thought I'd share my experience of buying the car.

I bought a MK3 about a month ago.
I've always liked the mk3 and took one a test drive a few years back but ended up sticking with my mk2 at the time.
Prior to getting it, I was driving a 1989 z32 300zx twin turbo but the engine blew on me, so I decided it was finally time to go roadster shopping.

The first car I went to look at was a low mileage silver pre facelift JDM MR-S, it was advertised on utvdrive and located in Antrim.
I spoke with the owner prior to going to view it and he assured me it was a great car with no faults whatsoever.
So I got a friend to drive up with the intention of taking it with me. He assured me he'd be there all day and to let him know when I was coming. So I did... he said he wasn't around but told me that his wife could show me the car. (perhaps I should have known at this point what was coming....)
So after over an hours drive, first impressions were not good. The paint work was in an awful state, scratches and dings everywhere. I was willing to overlook this as it could have been used as a bargaining tool. I asked "the wife" about the service history, her reply was "ah I don't know nothing about that, the husband always does it" I tried again, do you know when it was last serviced. "aye a few weeks ago... I think..."
Unfortunately however the problems didn't stop with the body work. I looked inside the car and the interior was extremely messy and in a very sorry looking state. The cloth seats were filthy and they had cigarette burns in several places, also the gear knob was falling to pieces. Again I thought to myself, well that will be easily sorted with some leather seats covers and a new knob, as long as the car is driving OK.
I asked for the keys and started the car, instantly there was an engine warning light on the dash, I thought maybe it's just a sensor. I pulled the bonnet and went around the back to have a look. As I walked to the rear of the car it didn't sound the smoothest and I stood back when I noticed quite a bit of water pouring from the exhaust (this doesn't look good!) I shut the engine off and decided to check the oil. There was a white residue on the cap (this definitely isn't good), I then dipped the car to check the levels only to find it was bone dry (OK I'm done).
While I wanted to get angry for having my time and money wasted, I thanked "the wife" for her time, after all it was her husband and not her that had misinformed me. I honestly think this was the worst car I have ever went to look at.

I felt disappointed but I wasn't going to be beaten, I was determined to get myself a mk3 so I produced my phone and had a look for another car.
A nice blue pre facelift roadster had just been listed minutes before I went logged on to look. I proceeded to call the seller, a nice gentleman who sympathized with me after hearing about my previous encounter.
As luck would have it he was only 15 minutes from where the first car was so I was able to go look at it right away.
As soon as I pulled up I could tell this car had been looked after, there was a night and day difference between this example and the sorry silver car I had just come from. The paint work was shiny and it had an unmarked full leather interior.
I asked to take the car a test drive, everything was how it should be, so I struck a deal with the seller and took the car home with me.

And here it is...

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Up until today I hadn't done anything to the car apart from drive it, which was been great fun!
I got a genuine service kit from CTP(new oil, oil filter, air filter,and plugs)and carried out a full service today.
Before and after on the air filter

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Then I painted the calipers and gave it a wash, wax and polish
Before and after caliper shot.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

I have a few more things planned for the car and I'll be sure to update this thread as and when they happen.
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2014/06/22 13:09 By Infamous.
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 42
It's a lovely car hope you have a lot of happy miles in it.
Looking forward to seeing your mods anything you have done to your previous cars has been very tasteful.
What was this I read yesterday about more power are we looking at fitting a super charger/turbo or are you looking at a conversion?
Anyway well may you wear and here's your first kc on your new tread as promised.
got92tubby
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 47
Beautiful car kc`d for luck , well wear .
TurboD
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male turbodawson@gmail.com Location: Celbridge Birthday: 01/29
If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room !

Re: My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 40
Nice motor well my she wear
dmac
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 29
Lovely colour.. Best of luck with her..
st182r
JOR MR2 PARTS
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 74
Lovely car and colour, well wear! Also interested in your planned power upgrades!?? KC'd for starting the thread!

When i went to view my first mr2, I had originally arranged a viewing for a different one, while on the way I rang the seller for proper directions and got a real bad vibe off him compared to the first call, he came across as a right pr1ck tbh so I didn't even bother going to see it. Like yourself I was determined not to waste the day so I pulled in and brought up donedeal on the phone. I decided to go view the closest one to me, even though the ad was terrible, two pictures taken in the dark, loads of spelling mistakes, really chavvy steering wheel. Anyway I went and met the guy, very sound ex mechanic and toyota fanatic, had a mint corolla(dunno corollas but it seemed like a rare one). He was a foreign guy which explained the spelling mistakes. Anyway the car was totally undersold in the ad, and price . Coilovers, stainless exhaust, project mu pads, ebc discs, and something that i found out later that brought her up to 186bhp.... Took her for a spin and she was tight as a ducks arse. Deal done, new steering wheel and battery and straight through the NCT.

So it can work both ways I suppose!
Tsporter
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 213
Lovely car - fingers crossed this nice weather keeps up for you (and me )
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Re: My Roadster/mr-s/spyder/mk3/zzw30 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 326
Great looking car Infamous, cracking weather for the soft top and nice cool night time spin, fair dues.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Go to topPage: 1