Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: hand brake woe
hand brake woe 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 14
Lads my mr2 has failed the nct for the second time on insufficient handbrake.I have replaced the rear pads and both handbrake cables and adjusted her up but even when close to binding the wheels with adjustment the handbrake has failed test.after a lot of head scratching I think now that the short cable from the handbrake to the adjuster may be stretched.just wondering has anyone had to replace this before or have you lads had any issues with your parking brakes.car has passed on everything only this.help much appreciated.
white97mr2
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: hand brake woe 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 25
Is the lever on the calipers returning all the way back when you release the handbrake? This tends to bind up and gives you less movement after adjustment, back the cables right off and try and push it back more.
weeJohn
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: hand brake woe 2 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 73
don`t know if the setup is different on the mk2 but on the mk1 you have to reset the hand brake mechanism on the calliper's, link www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-knowledge-ba...-mk1.html?kbartid=80
on less you get this right on the mk1 (and the mk3 are the same set up) you will never get a hand brake through the nct.
Redmk1
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: hand brake woe 2 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 14
Cheers lad's finally sorted nearly broke my head.that how to is a bit overly complicated but he is correct on most of it.when you pop out brake pistons to clean them because caliper is seized you have to wind out the piston with a vice grips until it touches back of brake pads.the piston doesn't auto adjust like it does on most cars it has to be set
Oh Mr2 its a good thing I love ya ha
Cheers for advice appreciate help lads
white97mr2
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1