Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North
Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 17
Hi guys, I am in the process of buying my supra 1jz back. I sold it to a guy in Cork around 9 months ago. Car is now nct'd etc though would this let me drive the car home when I enter the North?

Any of the Northern lads on here ever take a car up from the south? How did you work the Insurance, reg wise? Example: Insure the car on south number then swap over when registered again in the North?

Hope this make sense!
Mark s
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Portadown, N Ireland Birthday: 11/02
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 148
Congrats first of all, nice to get your own car back!

I am pretty sure that your insurance will give you temp cover on an ROI reg to get you home safe. I have bough cars in NI and my insurance covered me to drive it home with cover. Then we have 4 days to re-reg it and do a full insurance transfer.

I guess it has to work the other way around too but I can not tell you 100%. Spanky or Harper could probably tell you for sure.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 17
Cheers Swagger. Would you know if the NCT would act as MOT up North?
Mark s
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 148
No it will not. They are two completely different systems, although similar, one will not suffice for the other.

I can buy a car in NI that has just passed an MOT and has a full years tax and as soon as I re-register it here, both MOT and tax are null and void. I would then immediately have to NCT and tax it here. I am 99% sure that it would be the same the other way around.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 17
Though would the NCT cover me if stopped in the North on the way home after picking the car up?
Mark s
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 154
Yeah Mark if you have her NCT'd and if its taxed and insured and you only have it the cops shouldnt give you any hastle.
Just get her booked in for MOT asap and when you have it MOT'd you can then re-register it in the north.
You should be able to get a temp cert off your insurance off the VIN on the logbook.
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
graphgraph

Ah you will be fine for just bringing it home. Sure the cops can't expect that you get it MOT'd on your way home. There are processes and these take time. As long as you are covered by your insurance and the car is proven to be road worthy (NCT disc and cert), you will be fine just to drive it home. Obviously don't bring any attention to yourself, chances of even being stopped are slim. I have been up north tons and NEVER been stopped. Then just get it rereg'd, MOT'd and taxed.

Yeah you will be fine, if a cop does stop you, tell 'em Swagger said it's all good!
Enjoy the drive dude!
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Ah you will be fine for just bringing it home. Sure the cops can't expect that you get it MOT'd on your way home. There are processes and these take time. As long as you are covered by your insurance and the car is proven to be road worthy (NCT disc and cert), you will be fine just to drive it home. Obviously don't bring any attention to yourself, chances of even being stopped are slim. I have been up north tons and NEVER been stopped. Then just get it rereg'd, MOT'd and taxed.

Yeah you will be fine, if a cop does stop you, tell 'em Swagger said it's all good!
Enjoy the drive dude!
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Great.Cheers lads

Will mention your name if stopped Swagger!
Mark s
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 327
Jesus, don't do that he does be on crimecall every second week. If you mention his name the car will be crushed before you finish saying Swaggerrrrr with you in it!!

Enjoy the spin home, its a cracking looking car.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/07/21 13:02 By slipsliderg.
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 217
I would imagine, as Swagger said, that your insurance will cover you for a reasonable period to allow you to get the car re-registered in the North.

Not sure how long this would be but I would imagine a few weeks or a month as long as the NCT still has time left on it.

The only way to be sure is to phone the DVANI and your insurance and ask them but I wouldn't imagine that would be a real issue.
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 154
Hi Mark,

Not sure if you have been speaking to the tax office in Shannon yet but I thought I would give you a heads up just incase.
If you have filled in the logbook with your northern address, once shannon receive the logbook they note that the car is being exported and they don't send you any notification and they don't send you the logbook.
You have to send them a written request for a letter of exportation (letter or email) giving them the reg, make and model and chasis no. of the vehicle in question and also your name and address so they can send this to you.
You need this letter of exportation when you go to the tax office in the north in order to re-register the vehicle here.
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
graphgraph

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 17
Cheers, though I got no log book with the Supra as it was never taxed in the South. The VRT was paid and the car was NCT'd though He never had a log book as road tax was never paid.
Mark s
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Taking a Southern Irish reg car to the North 7 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 148
You will then need to apply for a vehicle ownership form from the ROI tax office.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/08/03 15:50 By SWAGGER.
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Go to topPage: 1