Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT
Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 14
HI All
Lately put an MR2 MK2 REV3 through its first NCT in 6 years,i had the car fully ready,after going through every inch ,panel off car,replacing belts,brakes whatever needed to be done,car was in fantastic condition,if i may say so myself,but off course the waterford NCT failed my car on saying 1 headlights beam was fractionally off,this off course means a retest off 28 euro,long story short i informed them i had just the day before set hedlamps on a beam setter,testers reply,you must have done it wrong and its not his problem my car failed and that was it,lets say i didnt take it kindly been talked to by an ignorant so and so,so called the manager and asked him for proof off failure results and proof off when there beamsetters where last callibrated,which he refused to show me,i went further and emailed NCT complaints department,there reply was that waterford NCT had done nothing wrong,i refused this reply,and brought up the facts that over the last 3 years the highest re-test failures are headlamp beams been offset,i wrote to my local TD aswell showing him the facts and 64mill profits NCT centers have made so far this year,LOOK im all for havn safe cars on the road,but i think you all agree guys like us,take care off our cars more than a guy with a newer car,as we are proud off what we drive,after i left the nct my car now had a blown exhaust manifold,which was perfect entering test and wasnt mentioned in the report,facts are facts headlamp beams,tracking,can be done at your cost,but on way to tst because off poor condition off irish roads can be offset on way to test center,in the end ifought this case and won,and was refunded my costs,while getn my car passed through NCT no probs this time,dont give into these money orientated profit greedy thugs,stand fr your rights like i did.
ps NCT was set up to make irish roads safer,sad fact,deaths have increased on irish roads for last 3 years.

JOCK
JOCK
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 106
Every year since I got MR2 (5th year now) I've been to the centre twice to get the cert (some of the retests were freebies)

I got caught with the beams off 2 year ago - to be fair they were slightly off but were in the thrsholds
eringobragh
Addict
graphgraph

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 57
2 years ago I had my headlight beams set and drove straight to the test centre, about a 20 minute drive. I had seen the beams set correctly myself as I know the mechanic setting them so had a peek on the machine myself just out of curiosity! Anyway I was watching the nct tester doing the beam test. Off he goes and returns with a long philips head screw driver and starts adjusting my beam. When he finished the test he said to me it was failing on the beams but he adjusted it until it passed and said he was very impressed with the car. I explained to him I had only just had them done not even half an hour before and he said he sees it all the time with pop up lights and bad roads and it would have been silly to fail it on that when he could adjust it in 2 seconds!

There are some good testers out there but getting one with a bit of common sense is hit and miss. This was the nct centre in youghal. Have always found them reasonable.
Bommie
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2015/12/07 18:13 By Bommie.

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 14
wow fair play to that tester,i take my hat off to him,for havn common sense,wonder if we can get him moved down to waterford lol
JOCK
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Ya I couldn't believe it haha I wonder does the mechanism just get weak/sloppy over time making it easy to knock the lights out of focus. I doubt it would have had that issue from the factory
Bommie
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 114
wow fair play to the tester whch centre was that in hehe
b4ss
Admin
graphgraph

Youghal
Bommie
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 71
passed mine today.
spla300
Booooost!!!
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 88
I was in the NCT centre the other day and it appears that my car stands no chance of passing ...

The Bastards
Japohara
F*(k your honda civic
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
Forgive me for I know not what i do ....

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 14
Sadly through the irish goverment,they no longer want to have cars over 15 years old on the irish roads,so NCT centers and Insurance companys are doubling there efforts to stop older cars been road legal,even if your car passes the NCT a 15 year old car may be un-insurable these days,my wife and sons toyota cars,which are both in perfect condition,with NCTs have been both quoted 4 times the insurance quotes,that they paid last year,over the fact there cars have hit the 15 year mark.
Lets get real here,its all about money for the goverment,they take in more income from the sale off new cars.
I would advice,to get an older car through an NCT is to completly have your car in perfect condition,get it up on a lift,replace all bushes,repair all rust,make sure brakes suspension and so on are in good working condition,give them no optian but to pass your car.
Simple things like condensation inside lamps can have your car failed,a broken bumper is a failure,but if your repair it yourself,even putting Tape over the cracks,aslong as there is no sharp edges they have to pass your car.
Having a 15 year old or older car on the irish roads is alot off work and money these days,so be smart,do the work yourselves and use breakers,AND THIS MR2 SITE,to get your car road worthy to so called,NCT standards.

JOCK
JOCK
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 3 Months ago Karma: 19
Just Brake something before. No other way unless u want to strugle with some imaginable repair... I always do.

One the last one I had all 100% and my 4th Nct on same setup and thay questioned my sterring wheel ??? had to hunt for standard with airbag and come back, no matter that it passed 3 times before with same Nardi sterring wheel.

2012 Left a sticker on the window - free retest
2013 Failed on emisions (no gasket) 28e and pass
2014 Exhaust noise 106db re-test with a bung (apexi gt) - pass

2015 Was selling the car so had it top condition and boom - failed on type off sterring wheel that was always in the car. ( found oryginal from mk3 - fited to mk2 turbo no problem and pass.
Fazzio
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 14
YAY off to spend my 28 euro re-test fee i got back off NCT IRELAND.
Then again i might frame it,and stick it up on my wall LOL.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

JOCK
JOCK
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 106
JOCK wrote:
YAY off to spend my 28 euro re-test fee i got back off NCT IRELAND.
Then again i might frame it,and stick it up on my wall LOL.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

JOCK

How did you manage to get your 28euro back?
eringobragh
Addict
graphgraph

Re: Getn your MR2 ready for the dreaded NCT 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 14
i wouldnt back down,over them saying 1 off my headlights was offset,i asked them for the prnt out,and camara footage off them doing my test,they backed down,and also i had prove my headlamps where alligned the day before,basically they cant prove a headlamp adjustment cannot go offset on the way to an NCT test,which happens with speedbumps,potholes so on,so they apoligised and refunded me my NCT Re-test amount,and passed my car,im working on cars since i was 14,i just wasnt going to let them get away with this extortion off the irish motorist,im proof justice can be achieved if people stand up for themselves.
JOCK
JOCK
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1