Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Exhaust
Exhaust 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 6
Hows everyone,

First post on here, have owned my MR2 now for a few months, and the only thing that I don't really like about it is the exhaust...

it's an aftermarket backbox that looks about a single 5' exit out the left side...

Just a little too loud for my liking really. It's a Rev5 mr2 GT-S turbo and apart from the exhaust, everything else seems to be standard.

Should say at this stage I'm looking into Superchipping the car in the new year, got a quot of 475 euro, and apparently an increase of 35hp and a 24% increase in torque...

Should I keep the larger exhaust for all of this?? Is there anywhere I could but a standard backbox but maybe made of stainless steel or something?

thanks again,
Pad.
Padidas
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re:Exhaust 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 314
Alright Pad,

I have a single exit noisy exhaust too, I've looked at different options but have yet to find something that is quiet, non-restrictive, and looks good too. Depending on how your exhaust routes you might be able to get an extra muffler in there which would quieten it down a bit. Although you'd need to be handy with a welder or know someone who does custom exhausts (probably not quick fit ).

Regarding your chipping, for slightly more money you could go with a standalone ECU. You will get the power advantages of the chip (possibly a little bit more too), and it can be changed and adjusted if you mod your car in the future (i.e. replace turbo).

Anyway, welcome to the site and hope to see you around some time

Quandry
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
Last Edit: 2009/09/19 18:59 By Quandry.
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:Exhaust 9 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 6
Quandry wrote:
Alright Pad,

I have a single exit noisy exhaust too, I've looked at different options but have yet to find something that is quiet, non-restrictive, and looks good too. Depending on how your exhaust routes you might be able to get an extra muffler in there which would quieten it down a bit. Although you'd need to be handy with a welder or know someone who does custom exhausts (probably not quick fit ).

Regarding your chipping, for slightly more money you could go with a standalone ECU. You will get the power advantages of the chip (possibly a little bit more too), and it can be changed and adjusted if you mod your car in the future (i.e. replace turbo).

Anyway, welcome to the site and hope to see you around some time

Quandry

See what you're saying... What i'd truly love though would be even just the original exhaust that was on the car... I can't stand the car being so noisy when it's just idling, especially from cold!
Padidas
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Exhaust 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 19
i have a fugitsubu legaliser catback on mine and the noise is perfect imo. its not loud at all but yet looks better than the standard system.. Not sure how good it is on the performace stakes as i have never had the car dynoed..
Mikey
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Exhaust 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 6
Mikey wrote:
i have a fugitsubu legaliser catback on mine and the noise is perfect imo. its not loud at all but yet looks better than the standard system.. Not sure how good it is on the performace stakes as i have never had the car dynoed..

The exhaust on the car at the minute is at least a 4-5' exit. I was never really a fan of the single exit exhaust's for MR2's think it looks a little unbalanced as the gap on the other side is still there in the bottom of the bumper....

Anyone know where I could buy a stainless/chrome looking standard twin exit exhaust???

That would be my ideal... and I have seen it on a few different MR2's

www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/MR2/Rev-3-G.../advert?channel=CARS

something like the exhaust on that one?
Padidas
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Exhaust 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 314
Firstly, I wish I had 4 grand to buy that car, strip it of the good bits and resell it.

Secondly, here is the number for Joe the MR2 parts guy in Galway, if you ring him, maybe he might have a spare exhaust going: 087 3260 386

If you get no joy there, another option would be to contact Pacman (up the North), he is breaking a RevII at present I believe - See link here.

You could also look at a Magnaflow system, I think they're supposed to be used as an OEM replacement with a slightly sportier look. They're made to order in Ireland.

Another possibility would be to PM Stephen from Momentum motorsport (on this board) he might have something up the North.

TBDev in the UK don't sell a twin tip, but you might find one in their for sale section of their forum.

After that, you could try calling GTS Chris about a Berk, it's dual tip and very nice looking. Might be to loud for you though going by what you're describing.

Quandry
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
Last Edit: 2009/09/28 01:39 By Quandry.
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:Exhaust 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 213
I've got a Mongoose on mine - very subtle looking but gives better breathing and has 3.5" rolled tips - has a nice low rumble on tickover without being loud.
Got it for £50 second hand from Shahid

s149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/rwilson_...current=P1040255.jpg

www.mongooseexhausts.com/mongoose/produc...4/Exhaust-System.htm
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/09/28 09:21 By Spidey.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Re:Exhaust 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 2
Padidas im like u. I like the standard exhaust that came with the car and i would never change mine. If i was to ever change it, it would be to the Mongoose as what Spidey has showing. I think it will give u more HP as well over the standard but prob not much.
BoyRacer
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Exhaust 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 2
And ya that is a real nice car. Would love to sell mine and get that Turbo.

Also if i had lots of money i think i would get this Mr2.
www.gumtree.ie/dublin/92/44271092.html

And another
cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&am...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Think im going off topic
BoyRacer
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2009/09/28 15:20 By BoyRacer.

Go to topPage: 1