Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

3sgte MKII MR2 Zeitronix ZT2 wideband install
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: 3sgte MKII MR2 Zeitronix ZT2 wideband install
3sgte MKII MR2 Zeitronix ZT2 wideband install 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 314
Ok so I got my ZT2 wideband during the week.

The whole reason I wanted this is to be able to do some 'home tuning' with my PowerFC. The PFC has the ability to adjust the ignition timing/fuel in any way you want, however without visibility of the Air/Fuel ratio it's possible that you are making adjustments for the worse not better. I am on track to install a new engine later this year and due to a change of turbo/injectors/cams etc, it will likely need significant adjustment in the fuel/ignition maps to operate it within safe limits (running excessively lean or rich could damage the engine). So I am starting with my ZT2 now in order to learn enough that I can get my new engine close enough for run in purposes. I'll then take it for a dyno tune to get it optimised. Enough chit chat, let's look at the ZT2:

Zeitronix have nice clean packaging -

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

and the whole lot appears very professional upon first opening.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Zeitronix use a Bosch wideband sensor but they build their product offering around that with a mix of hardware and software. The sensor comes with a controller that is used to read the signal and datalog out to a laptop. The ZT2 also connects in to a series of other inputs such as voltage, throttle position, boost, EGT etc so be able to give a wider understanding of what is happening in your engine. I opted to skip the EGT as I had heard horror stories of the sensor going through your turbo (it has to be installed before the turbo) but I did succumb and go for the map sensor, www.zeitronix.com/Products/zt2/zt2.htm#L...ideband LCD Display and a Zavt1 - a small piezo style device that can flash a light and give an audio buzz based on alert parameters (eg. excessive lean out).

Zeitronix supply weather pack connectors and I also chose to go for their extension harness which will allow me to install the ZT2 in the cabin and still reach the PowerFC in the trunk. Over all I have been very impressed with the quality of the fittings and documentation that comes with the unit.

Zeitronix claim that the ZT2 is the smallest logging system in the world, and that it is only the size of a 1" thick business card. I am not sure if it's all that small, but as you can see from these photos, both the LCD display and the Zt2 controller are a nice handy size and should be easily hideable behind the seats in my 2.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

The wideband sensor and map sensor are of reasonable size, in the first case I will install my wideband in the factory location using a . Zeitronix advise against this as 'the factory location is too hot for the wideband sensor'. The only problem is that I won't get my new downpipe until I get the new turbo (Garrett) and I don't want to have to buy a different new downpipe (CT26) in the meantime just to do this - so I'll take the risk for now.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

I plan on installing the map sensor in the cabin as I already have a vacuum hose point in there for my Omori gauge and can tee off of that.
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re:3sgte MKII MR2 Zeitronix ZT2 wideband install 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 314
The wideband sensor comes with a good length of cable included and nice fittings. Should be reasonably easy to get a nice factory looking finish.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Ultimately, I will be feeding an output from the ZT2 in to my Datalogit so that I can map the AFR inline with the ignition/fuel maps but i do quite like the ZT2 is the console/gauges that their software comes with.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Zeitronix also offer their software as a free download from the site so it's possible to get in to it and have a play with the various functions etc.

So my Kelsport o2 adaptor plate turned up in the post today :thumbup

It sure is solid, can't see it worrying about the heat off the turbo elbow

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

The Bosch sensor from Zeitronix is already copper greased and it screws in to the Kelsport adaptor as a perfect fit

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

The factory sensor is slightly longer in fitment so it's really a straight forward bolt on

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

I have still yet to buy a vice so I used a big shifting spanner once it was sitting in place on the studs to tighten up the main thread.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:3sgte MKII MR2 Zeitronix ZT2 wideband install 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 314
The Zeitronix is not exactly MR2 friendly with the length of cable coming of the controller

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Luckily I also bought the harness extension kit so I will be able to connect my TPS, 02 simulator, and tach wires on the weekend when I have some more time. But for now I tapped my dash for an ignition wire,

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Hooked up my bluetooth microphone finally (off topic I know)

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

wired in a ground and the boost sensor

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

and ghetto rigged my o2 harness out of the bay and in the window :thumbup

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Here's a pic of the widescreen read out (engine not running). On the weekend I will finish the ECU harness, test out the Zeitronix data logging and hopefully hook in to the Datalogit to map my AFR against my maps (phew - lots to to :smile: )

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

This weekend I had time to do a proper install on my ZT2. The wideband connector (five wire) is very different to the stock JDM (single wire) and the cables need to go in to the cabin rather than the trunk so I ran the cables behind the heatshield and towards the front left hand side engine bay grommet.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

The ZT2 logger unit has several possible inputs beyond wideband AFR. It also includes EGT (I didn't bother), Boost, Throttle position sensor, RPM. Beyond that there is also a narrow band simulator output that the ECU can use. I have the ability to log these anyway with my Datalogit unit, but I figured while I was there, I might as well take the extra time to hook it all up - I paid for it after all. So the first step was to re-work my pfc extension cable harness and send through a few of the leads that came with the ZT2 harness extension kit. I put in a few extra strands than what I needed, just in case I wanted to run extra sensors etc from the front to the back later on.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Next came the adjoining of the sensor leads in to the ECU harness. I tracked down the pin outs quite easily as it seems they had been adjoined by a previous owner. The tps signal comes from VTA1, Oxygen sensor from OX, and the RPM signal from IGF. There seemed to be some Internet conjecture on if the tach signal should come from IGF or IGT, but the previous owner had tapped IGF so I went with that and it seems to work ok. I installed these with a four pin connector so that if I need to disconnect the Zeitronix in future its an easy plug out.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

The final wiring job was to solder up the ZT2 end and then to connect the Linear Wideband output and Wideband ground in to the Datalogit

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

The widescreen LCD option that I took with the ZT2 fits in to the ashtray slot pretty good! - not a full time installation but handy for peeking at every now and then while driving.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
* Note EGT not in use, this is at idle.

Here is a log that I made from the ZT2 console of a 3rd gear pull:

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
Last Edit: 2009/08/31 21:16 By Quandry.

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:3sgte MKII MR2 Zeitronix ZT2 wideband install 10 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 30
If you want to do this on the cheap, techedge do a kit (or a pre built) wideband controller, complete with sensor - for around £120 delivered.

It has other logging functions as well, and various other outputs.

If you need a display, a simple digital voltmeter will do, with the scale adjusted accordingly. (Available on ebey for around £3-4)

I have been through a load of (in my opinion) substandard innovate lc-1 units. the techedge does everything without a load of extra wiring, and is fully programmable.
mark239
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1