Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Please Help - Warning Lights on all over the place
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Please Help - Warning Lights on all over the place
Please Help - Warning Lights on all over the place 3 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Guys, I think I'm in trouble. Last night, about 200m from the house, warning lights came on - 3 of them 1. Discharge warning light 2. Low brake fluid level warning light 3. Engine compartment cooling fan warning light. I drove into the drive and turned the car off. I started it again (only for about 30 seconds), about an hour later and it runs fine. I had heard what was like a squeaking coming from the engine for the past couple of weeks after it started in the morning, but this went when driving normally. Could the alternator going be the reason for all three lights. I tried the paper clip to diagnose the codes, but it just kept flashing continually - maybe didn't do it right. Assistance would be very much appreciated, as of now car is staying where it is!! Thanks.

L.
Fewery
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Please Help - Warning Lights on all over the place 3 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 326
Its your alternator most likely as you say. Perhaps the bearings are seizing, mechanic job. If your not up to doing it yourself.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re: Please Help - Warning Lights on all over the place 3 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Maybe not myself, but my brother in law is a mechanic, so I'm sure I can persuade him to give me a hand!! any ideas on how to know which one to get (refurbed one, new one is mega bucks). Mine is a 97 N/A import. Is there a way to check by the chassis no.?

Cheers.
Fewery
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Please Help - Warning Lights on all over the place 3 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 326
There are I think about 5 different alternators for the MR2, chassis number is normally the best way.

However even then it may not be right due to previous owners etc, I would be more inclined to take out the existing unit and Toyota do an exchange / refurb unit.

Oh and its no mean feat taking one out, search on here or PM Silverlux as he has done it and there is an easier way than is first obvious when you go at the job. It will save you hours.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Go to topPage: 1