Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Snow chains, socks or winter tyres??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Snow chains, socks or winter tyres??
Snow chains, socks or winter tyres?? 11 Years ago Karma: 62
Have been stuck indoors for the last week due to all the snow and just about had enough of it...cabin feaver setting in! Where we live is situated on a hill which has not been gritted so I have not braved driving on it yet as I have seen many cars/vans getting stuck there and, with my tyres not the best, am waiting for a thaw...going to be a long wait it seems!

I've read alot about these snow socks or snow chains and was wondering whether anybody here is using either of them?

I know most people recommend winter tyres but how much would they typically cost? Would I need a fuly set or would I get away with just replacing the two back ones?

Also, if anybody knows of somewhere in the Gorey/Wexford region that may be able to supply any of the above items please let me know...

David
corkmr2
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re:Snow chains, socks or winter tyres?? 11 Years ago Karma: 59
I had the snow socks last winter and they were amazing! I couldn't get out of my driveway without them. You can't go more than 60km/h with them on though and if you drive on the road without snow/ice I think they'll get destroyed fairly quickly!
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male danielsheerin@hotmail.com Location: Letterkenny Birthday: 02/28

Re:Snow chains, socks or winter tyres?? 11 Years ago Karma: 217
The snow socks are good and (I think) relatively easy to put on. They do have limitations as Dan has said but they would probably do the job for you as all you need is to get to the end of your road. Then pull in and take them off.

Snow chains are a bit more severe. What I mean is they are for serious conditions and work really well in those conditions, but they are dangerous on non-snow/ice tarmac. The important things re: snow chains are that they are a real bugger to put on (10-30 minutes but quick to take off) and are reasonably expensive to buy for the limited use you get in Ireland.

Either socks or chains will be a pain if you car is lowered and you cant get your hand between the tyre and arch.

Snow tyres as a name is slightly misleading. They would be better called colder weather tyres. The rubber compound is different as your standard tyres start to loose grip somewhere between 10-5 degrees. The tread patterns are different and will give you more grip in the snow but not in hard ice.

My brother lives in Geneva and always puts snow tyres on in the winter. He also carries chains for driving to the ski resorts. I have been with him when he tries to put these on and if took him about 15-20mins for two. In Switzerland/France you can get fined for not having or having chains in the wrong conditions and his car insurance doesn't cover him, in the winter, without snow tyres .... they take it pretty serious and their roads are usually clearer than ours

My advice, buy the socks and use them between your house and main road on the rear tyres at least ..... if you must drive anywhere. Be careful, rear wheel drive can be very unforgiving in the snow.
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:Snow chains, socks or winter tyres?? 11 Years ago Karma: 62
Spanky wrote:
if you must drive anywhere. Be careful, rear wheel drive can be very unforgiving in the snow.

I have learned that to my cost already unfortunately

Must try and find somewhere local now that supplies them...micksgarage are sold out until Wednesday.

Many thanks for the replies..
corkmr2
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Snow chains, socks or winter tyres?? 11 Years ago Karma: 59
Snow socks are a doddle to put on, take less than 5 mins for both sides. Just slide them over the top of your wheels, roll the car forward or backwards and then pull them over the rest. Jobs a good 'un! Same goes for taking them off. Pull them off the top as far as you can go and roll them off the socks. Throw them in the boot or frunk and away you go.
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male danielsheerin@hotmail.com Location: Letterkenny Birthday: 02/28

Go to topPage: 1