Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

MR2 at Bonneville - awesome read
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: MR2 at Bonneville - awesome read
MR2 at Bonneville - awesome read 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 313
I came across Bob Norwood's page today about setting speed records at Bonneville. Amazing!

Here is an excerpt and the full article is linked below:

Bonneville can be one mean, unforgiving bitch.

There are legions of good racers who have tilted at the Windmills of a Land Speed Record many times and never come out on top. There are competent racers who have gone to the Utah Salt Flats every year for decades and never set a Land Speed Record.

Going fast requires a TON of power. Air resistance goes nuts with speed, increasing exponentially as the cube of the increase in speed. Air resistance over 120 mph becomes extreme, which is the speed at which a human body free-falling through the air (prior to pulling the ripcord!) reaches terminal velocity and will not fall any faster. If you could go 100 mph on, say, 80 horsepower, to double speed to 200 mph requires 640 horsepower! If you could go 150 mph on, say, 210 horsepower, doubling speed to 300 mph requires 1680 horsepower!

Once you’re making a ton of power, you typically need to run hard for a relatively long time--minutes rather than seconds like a drag car. And then you need to run again within four hours, with the car in the meantime locked in impound where certain repairs are impossible. Mechanical parts flogged to the limit over the required 4-7 miles of super high speed running take a terrible pounding, and thermal loading can increase to fatal levels as the minutes tick by. Melt-downs are endemic to salt-flat racing.

And then there is the question of tuning. Truly fast cars have virtually no good way to test at design speed at full power until they actually arrive on the desolate dead-level salt flats 100 miles west of Salt Lake City. Where can you run a car flat-out at 200-300 mph for 4-7 miles without lifting the throttle except at Bonneville? For many competitors, Salt Flat racing is more akin to an R&D and tuning nightmare than a race.

The fastest little sports car in Utah
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: MR2 at Bonneville - awesome read 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 94
Would never have dreamed that you needed so many more BHP to travel at twice the speeds. Top speed isnt really my thing but the money, time and skil involved must be insane.
Harper
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: MR2 at Bonneville - awesome read 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 313
I'd love to get in to that scene, but it would take a fairly good lotto win alright

The tuning side of it is probably the most interesting, from what they describe in the article it's incredibly complex and I'd love to have a go at it.
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
Last Edit: 2009/12/15 10:05 By Quandry.
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Go to topPage: 1