Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Track geo setup?
Track geo setup? 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 74
After the trackday yesterday I've been wondering about getting someone to have a look at the setup of my car. She's running well and my times are consistent now. It's the only mr2 ive driven and I wouldn't have a clue about this side of things. I'd like to get her setup to see if I can get my times down a bit...

Has anyone any contacts or tips on what I should be looking for?
Tsporter
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Track geo setup? 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 154
I remember seeing Slipsliderg recommend someone he used before in a thread quite a while back. Perhaps he'd be the man to ask?
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
graphgraph

Re: Track geo setup? 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 327
Yep I had some settings changed a couple of times. Have the sheets somewhere.

What corners do you think you have trouble with as it could be the approach that is unsettling you. However sometimes when you think your walking around a corner or lap it can actually be the fastest you have done it.

You really need to decide track or road as the difference is profound. What is good on the track can be lethal on the road especially in the wet in a MR2. I had the rear toe in adjusted and it made the car turn in razor sharp. However it would try and spit you out of a corner crying like a baby when you unsettle it. So as it was the road car I changed it back to normal road settings.

Things that can be done IMO, Weejohn and Kingers would have useful input with this as well.

I think more track time and a bit of tuition will make a big difference. I would love to get some of it myself one of the days. I found even with my standard geo on the track car that the slicks made a massive difference i.e. 5-6 seconds a lap at least, but they are far from cheap.

Anyway onto my list of what to do and in the sequence that is least cost + largest benefit.

Brake Fluid.

Brake pads.

Tyre pressures, very subjective and influenced by the conditions on the day.

Set the geo to factory standards.

Go drive the car to its limits on track. You would be surprised how late you can brake into the corners. Just watch that you apply and them progressively, firmly and release them progressively as well in a straight line. There is more to be gained from braking than power in Mondello IMO.

Get a feel of how you want the car to handle take note of it and then talk to a proper Geo guy to set the car up in the way you want it to handle.

At that point it is time to look at upgrade.

Camber bolts x 4

Polybush Kit

Then drive the car, decide if its going the way you want it to and then approach Geo guy and chat with them.

Then track tyres.

After that I would be looking to ARB's front and rear, they make a profound difference to handling.

Note: all these changes so far have changed the car somewhat and may have it closer to an edge you may not want to pass. best not to compromise a good road car with full on track mods.

At this point its now time to consider:

Strut braces F & R

Pillow Ball Tension rods.

After all that and only then would I consider stepping into getting Coilovers with camber adjustable top mounts.

That's all from me for now
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Oh and Johnny, JOMO (0857453129) in Killucan is the man who done my last set up. After a twenty minute conversation I left the car with him and he adjusted it from what he picked up in the conversation.

Thats probably the answer you wanted, I went of on one, sorry.
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re: Track geo setup? 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 74
KC'd ray, plenty of info there!

There was coilovers on her when I got her so I don't know what a standard setup is like to drive.

I'm definitely not carrying enough speed into the long bend just before the back straight. And she can feel a little unstable in the right and left corners that are the 3rd and 4th after the back straight.

To be honest shes pretty good at the moment and a hell of a lot of fun, but I'm new to this rwd track stuff so I wouldn't really know how it should handle.

Tired now so ill think about it and be back!
Tsporter
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Not exactly sure which corners your talking about Tsporter

Is it Lola and Birranes from the picture below.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re: Track geo setup? 4 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 74
Yep Lola and Birranes. Oh and Dunlop I suppose, but that's purely cause I know the 2 can snap you into the wall if you get it wrong...

Turn 1 is my favourite, exiting that and purposely giving her too much throttle is always fun!
Tsporter
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1