Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

KICKNGAS - pretty cool!
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: KICKNGAS - pretty cool!
KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 313
I like this

Electric powered MR2. Might have mentioned it here before... I would be very keen to see how this performs with a brushless motor and LiPo's. That technology seems to have taken a firm hold in the hobby world and could make for stunning performance in full size cars.

Just found some new pics....

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:tDC-gq6BRCThFM:http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu283/kickngas/IMG_1716.jpg&t=1[/img]

and details:
3350 pounds
13 12 volt FLA Batteries for 156 Volts
ADC 9" motor
Raptor 1200 amp controller

Good work students!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

They have a blog here: http://thsev.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=43

What I like:
    Fantastic torque from low rpm
    electric engine looks cool
    High tech and programmable (depending on the controller)
    Cheaper fill ups

What I don't like:
    Extra weight of batteries
    Weight of batteries in the wrong place (i.e. weight distribution)
    No turbo woosh noise (although can be electronically replicated)
    No cool looking exhaust? (big selling point for MR2 imo)
    Name sounds a bit like KickInNads

What do you think?
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
MR2 Drivers
Last Edit: 2010/09/27 14:07 By Quandry.
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 24
its cool id like to see it driving couldnt see any videos, and i agree on all the handleing would be pretty messy good future car for citys while lookin cool haha
Danmr2
nothing like an mr2 experience :)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Danmr2 Location: Galway (clifden) Birthday: 03/14

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 59
First and foremost the car looks great. It's in fantastic condition. I agree with the engine looking very nice, in fact I think I agree with all of your pros and cons.

However, all of us here have modified our cars to suit us. All these little tweaks and extras make our cars OUR OWN. Some people want to keep theirs as standard as possible, others are in the search for more power and others like to show off with their immaculate engine bay, power coated and all.

This is car would be perfect for an environmentally concerned person, who wants to do their part in protecting the planet while still looking sh*t hot in their Deuce. I mean a Prius is Eco friendly but isn't very aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe Hybrid/Electric car manufacturers should take note and approach the market differently. Then again does this market exist? Sports car lovers with a Eco conscience?
ozzy1986
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 313
ozzy1986 wrote:

This is car would be perfect for an environmentally concerned person, who wants to do their part in protecting the planet while still looking sh*t hot in their Deuce. I mean a Prius is Eco friendly but isn't very aesthetically pleasing.

Agree totally

ozzy1986 wrote:

Maybe Hybrid/Electric car manufacturers should take note and approach the market differently. Then again does this market exist? Sports car lovers with a Eco conscience?

There's an electic sports car called the 'Tesla Roadster' made with a Lotus body/suspension/Interior but proprietary charge/battery/power train.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Great looking car but limited range, high cost and take an age to recharge.

LiPo batteries help greatly but afaik the technology has not yet reached a suitable level of reliability. Li-ion batteries could be a potential though..
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 148
Lipos with a brushless motor would make a massive difference, specially if, as you say, the car was balanced properly.

Li-Pos deliver awesome power, but have special requirements. They need a special balance charger and all cells must be balanced charged. They are quite prone to catch fire during charging and it is not recommended to charge them unattended.

This is from the RC world, where by battery packs are small enough to put into special fire bags for charging, to contain any potential fire.

If that can be sorted out, to a safer degree, it could be a massive jump forward for electric cars, in terms of cost, distance, power and general performance.

Nice project all the same.

EDIT:

BTW, Li-PO for those that are not familiar with them are Lithium Polymer batteries.

Also, I believe that there is already a Tesla in Ireland, some rich dude obviously.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/09/27 19:26 By SWAGGER.
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

SWAGGER wrote:
Lipos with a brushless motor would make a massive difference, specially if, as you say, the car was balanced properly.

Li-Pos deliver awesome power, but have special requirements. They need a special balance charger and all cells must be balanced charged. They are quite prone to catch fire during charging and it is not recommended to charge them unattended.

This is from the RC world, where by battery packs are small enough to put into special fire bags for charging, to contain any potential fire.

If that can be sorted out, to a safer degree, it could be a massive jump forward for electric cars, in terms of cost, distance, power and general performance.

Nice project all the same.

EDIT:

BTW, Li-PO for those that are not familiar with them are Lithium Polymer batteries.

Also, I believe that there is already a Tesla in Ireland, some rich dude obviously.

Dead on with the facts Swagger. I used to charge my lipos in a biscuit tin, no fancy fire bag My friend had to throw one out the window of his house one day as it started smoking while it was charging and he thought it was about to burst in to flames. still early days with that technology though!
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 217
the weight distribution might not be affected too much. The electric motor looks like a big bitch that could weigh roughly the same as a 3sge.

The take away the other weight in the front (spare wheels, radiator etc) and replace it with batteries. It would adversely affect it but perhaps not by as much as you would think. I'm assuming the rad and air con condenser have been removed as they appear to have batteries in there.

Plus, with loads of torque and a heavier front end you could have the worlds first mid engine drifter

There was a guy on MR2OC who started a MR2 electric project. His screen name is woodsmith and he gave up when the costs started to escalate. These guys spent $11k - that would buy a lot of carbon off setting
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 47
I was nearly knocked down by a Tesla sports car in California last summer!?!
I checked both directions before crossing, nothing around so STROLLED across the road. About 10secs later some punk blew the horn at me. I turned around an a red Tesla was about 10 inches from me!!! Them cars are totally SILENT !!!
Prob shoulda Ran
Cashy
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 148
Cheers Quandry, good idea with the biscuit tin!

Spanky, don't underestimate the weight of batteries. One of those cells alone could be 15-20KG+ and they have 6 of them crammed in there, that could be roughly 120KG! Nearly the same as an engine again. Double loaded, ouch!
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/09/29 12:59 By SWAGGER.
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 217
SWAGGER wrote:
Cheers Quandry, good idea with the biscuit tin!

Spanky, don't underestimate the weight of batteries. One of those cells alone could be 15-20KG+ and they have 6 of them crammed in there, that could be roughly 120KG! Nearly the same as an engine again. Double loaded, ouch!

Still would be offset by some weight savings though. I would doubt the shift would more than 5-10% towards the front, so probably not noticeable when driving i.e. still good around the corners.

The guy on the OC who thought about this was going to load up the frunk and boot with batteries. I think he was going for something like 200V shame he shelved it really, would have been interesting.
Spanky
Addict
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago  
Hey guys,
Thanks for the positive comments about our conversion. I am the instructor for the class. First of all, these kids take this class at 7:00am, an hour before school every morning and we are self funded, in other words, all of our conversions have been possible from donations, sponsors and fundraisers. We compete against other high schools in a program that regulates the vehicle classes such as the modified class our MR2 competes. They finally opened up the use of Lithium batteries this year, so we are in a fundraising frenzy trying to raise enough money to buy lithiums for the car.
As far as weight, she is heavier than stock with all that lead, but the weight distribution is within 3 pounds front rear. It handles like it is on rails, but the steering is a bit heavy with all the added weight up front. We ran it in an autocross competition a few weeks back and performed admirably against gas vehicles. My student driver had never driven the car, so I did not have high expectations. We did have a better time than 8 of the other SCCA vehicles.
When we do install a lithium pack, it will be 600 pounds lighter and have a minimum 50% more range. It should be faster on the top end, but we really do not need it to go more than the 110 it does now! As far as torque, it has 425 ft/lbs and will pin youth the seat. Can't help you with the lack of noise, I guess the thrill of driving electric will have you screaming loud enough to warn pedestrians!
Kickngas

Hey! great to see you on mr2.ie - welcome to the site

I had to lookup a weight converter but I see that 600pounds = 272kg - that is a lot!

I think what you and the students are doing is really great. How much money do you need to raise for the lithiums? and out of interest are they Li-po or Li-Ion or something else?

Here's a Karma Click for dropping by to say hi
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 327
Welcome to the site Kickngas, I have been watching your thread a long time now and its great what you and the students have achieved with so little.

Big pat on the back to you all from the Emerald Isle and a KC, keep up the good work
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 1 Month ago  
@Quandry, we are in the research stage of battery selection, but it looks like we will be going with LiFePo4 chemistry. We have to determine the how to enclose them for safety and also if we will need a monitoring system. We are anxious to implement our plan, but first we need to raise about $7500. Of course we are holding fundraisers and contacting sponsors, plus I have written a grant. We do accept donations on our Blog through PayPal! There is a company holding a contest for a 100 Lithium battery giveaway we are going to enter.
Question, where is this site based from? I am think either the UK or Australia.
We recently broke one of our shift cables and a fine gent from Australia, MR2Bitz.co.uk, sent us one for free plus $22 shipping!
Kickngas

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 94
I don't think I'll ever drive a car that doesn't go "Brum.... Brum..... Brum......Brummmmmmmmmm "
Harper
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 1 Month ago  
@Harper, perhaps you could just ride along then! This one may be worthy of your changing your mind... www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/11823/renault-dezir.html
Kickngas

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 7 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 217
Kickngas wrote:
@Harper, perhaps you could just ride along then! This one may be worthy of your changing your mind... www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/16/view/11823/renault-dezir.html

It will be interesting to see how this concept translates to an actual production car, but electric may very well be the future. Problem is that, at the minute we burn petrol or diesel in the car to power it .... electric cars just mean that the same (or similar) fuel is burned somewhere else to provide the power, so the environmental credentials are questionable.

Looks the business though
Spanky
Addict
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 313
I see there's some news about KICKNGAS - www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=14480849

They're moving on to Lithium Polymer batteries. I think this will make a night and day transformation of the deuce. I've used LiPoly in RC applications and the voltage/amperage increase is significant with a big weight reduction.

It will be like putting a turbo on it!

I love my turbo petrol motor but I would also love an EV MR2 to tinker with
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
Last Edit: 2011/04/21 08:28 By Quandry.

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 213
What a way to spend your High School !
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 33
youtu.be/WS4fvCB6KUY

Found this info for the sound prob. I remember being told about the possibility of a car sounding like the millenium falcon?

youtu.be/1Gzf0kR5AvE
Chas
Naturally asperated cruiser
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male charlierutledge4@gmail.com Location: Dublin Birthday: 12/08

Re:KICKNGAS - pretty cool! 6 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 154
Why didnt they do things like this at my school?!
Cool project.
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1