Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion
#75430
Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 4
Hey guys,

before ever buying my MR-S I planned to 2zz it. A couple of weeks ago I did my first mods which were a set of 16" Rays Engineering Volk TE37 Cups, a ducktail spoiler, and an LSD.

A week later I blew the crank bearings. She was burning oil and I wasn't vigilant enough. I've bought a donor car (T-Sport) for the 2ZZ motor, and in a couple of weeks i'll be starting.

Got all the info I need online, bar what i need to make the standard exhaust manifold fit. Is there anyone around cork who has experience with this swap who could share info etc?

Here's the TE37 Cups, and the ducktail: i.imgur.com/UPCCoLB.jpg
Ryano
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 17
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#75434
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 74
Best of luck with the transplant, would love to do it myself but don't have the space or expertise. Slipsliderg here has one as his trackcar.
Keep the post updated...
Tsporter
Expert Boarder
Posts: 811
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Kildare Birthday: 01/01
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#75436
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 25
Doing one at the minute, have converted the Celica 6 speed box to suit the Roadster and put the lsd in, done all the engine and wiring mods, cut out the 1zz sump baffle and fitted it and put a new timing chain on as well. It took a bit more time than we expected as the engine is new to us, but its in now and had a quick test run of the engine.

We should be starting the exhaust next week, planning on cutting the 2zz manifold at the flange and welding it back on at a slight angle so it clears the sub frame, after that its a simple connect up to a single back box.

I will take a few pics of what I do and post them if you want?
weeJohn
Senior Boarder
Posts: 451
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Carrickfungus Birthday: 04/12
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#75454
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 4
weeJohn wrote:
Doing one at the minute, have converted the Celica 6 speed box to suit the Roadster and put the lsd in, done all the engine and wiring mods, cut out the 1zz sump baffle and fitted it and put a new timing chain on as well. It took a bit more time than we expected as the engine is new to us, but its in now and had a quick test run of the engine.

We should be starting the exhaust next week, planning on cutting the 2zz manifold at the flange and welding it back on at a slight angle so it clears the sub frame, after that its a simple connect up to a single back box.

I will take a few pics of what I do and post them if you want?


6 speed is apparently better for keeping the 2ZZ in lift, but I'm sticking with the 5spd as I prefer them, and they're less troublesome!

Why did you swap sump baffles? Did you change the lift bolts? Know if anywhere here would stock them? Must have been exciting to run it for the first time

Did ye use the 1zz fuel rail? What needs to be done to the TPS?

I'm gonna do the same with my 2zz, but I may get a hi-flow cat for it, if not i'll make piping as long as possible and have a decent muffler. I'll mod the 1zz system to fit for nct time! Do you reckon a universal muffler would fit under there at all?

I'd love to see pics of what you can, and if it isn't trouble some pics of the wiring would be awesome, it's the only part i'm at a loss with. I know you're adding the 3 missing wires for the 2zz ecu, but a few pics of how they connect on the ecu end would be awesome!

Whereabouts are you from John? Cheers!
Ryano
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 17
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#75460
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 25
Ryano wrote:
6 speed is apparently better for keeping the 2ZZ in lift, but I'm sticking with the 5spd as I prefer them, and they're less troublesome! [/quote]

We wanted to stay in lift as its going to be a track car, so the LSD came out of the 5 speed and went into the 6 speed, best of both worlds.

Ryano wrote:
Why did you swap sump baffles? Did you change the lift bolts? Know if anywhere here would stock them? Must have been exciting to run it for the first time [/quote]

2ZZ has no baffle in it what so ever, the 1zz has a baffle so it went in. Changed the lift bolts, got them off ebay.

Ryano wrote:
Did ye use the 1zz fuel rail? What needs to be done to the TPS? [/quote]

1ZZ rail and 2ZZ injectors, TPS needs 2 wires swapped over in the plug.

Ryano wrote:
I'm gonna do the same with my 2zz, but I may get a hi-flow cat for it, if not i'll make piping as long as possible and have a decent muffler. I'll mod the 1zz system to fit for nct time! Do you reckon a universal muffler would fit under there at all? [/quote]

I have a universal silencer bought, no cat going in as its track only, will be starting it this week. Look up Monkey Wrench Racing for a swap manifold or some Gucci exhausts!

Ryano wrote:
I'd love to see pics of what you can, and if it isn't trouble some pics of the wiring would be awesome, it's the only part i'm at a loss with. I know you're adding the 3 missing wires for the 2zz ecu, but a few pics of how they connect on the ecu end would be awesome!

Whereabouts are you from John? Cheers! [/quote]

The wiring is not hard, start reading up on Spyderchat about what exactly needs done, we have done this by buying a complete 2ZZ Celica and it has cost us very little else apart from service parts. There are wiring guides available on there also, step by step stuff to follow.
weeJohn
Senior Boarder
Posts: 451
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Carrickfungus Birthday: 04/12
Last Edit: 2015/06/29 16:22 By weeJohn.
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#75462
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 4
weeJohn wrote:
Ryano wrote:
6 speed is apparently better for keeping the 2ZZ in lift, but I'm sticking with the 5spd as I prefer them, and they're less troublesome!


We wanted to stay in lift as its going to be a track car, so the LSD came out of the 5 speed and went into the 6 speed, best of both worlds.

Ryano wrote:
Why did you swap sump baffles? Did you change the lift bolts? Know if anywhere here would stock them? Must have been exciting to run it for the first time [/quote]

2ZZ has no baffle in it what so ever, the 1zz has a baffle so it went in. Changed the lift bolts, got them off ebay.

Ryano wrote:
Did ye use the 1zz fuel rail? What needs to be done to the TPS? [/quote]

1ZZ rail and 2ZZ injectors, TPS needs 2 wires swapped over in the plug.

Ryano wrote:
I'm gonna do the same with my 2zz, but I may get a hi-flow cat for it, if not i'll make piping as long as possible and have a decent muffler. I'll mod the 1zz system to fit for nct time! Do you reckon a universal muffler would fit under there at all? [/quote]

I have a universal silencer bought, no cat going in as its track only, will be starting it this week. Look up Monkey Wrench Racing for a swap manifold or some Gucci exhausts!

Ryano wrote:
I'd love to see pics of what you can, and if it isn't trouble some pics of the wiring would be awesome, it's the only part i'm at a loss with. I know you're adding the 3 missing wires for the 2zz ecu, but a few pics of how they connect on the ecu end would be awesome!

Whereabouts are you from John? Cheers! [/quote]

The wiring is not hard, start reading up on Spyderchat about what exactly needs done, we have done this by buying a complete 2ZZ Celica and it has cost us very little else apart from service parts. There are wiring guides available on there also, step by step stuff to follow.[/quote]

Cheers john, are the TPS wires obvious or did you follow a guide? Is the baffle really needed?

Feck MWR, rip off... I'm gonna cut and weld the 2zz header, and just go custom from there!
Ryano
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 17
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#75464
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 25
There is a video guide on you tube for the tps wire swap
weeJohn
Senior Boarder
Posts: 451
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Carrickfungus Birthday: 04/12
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#76467
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 4
Thanks John

Small update for you guys:

The VVTL-i went in, she ran, but low power/ engine died coasting to lights etc/ no valve lift/ 7k rev limit.

Wired lift solenoid incorrectly causing a cel code and put ecu in limp mode.

Fixed this and it still ran funny. Died at lights, gave less power with more throttle. Intermittent high idle. Swapped over 2zz TPS and did the tps wire swap and away she went, running great.

Been using the mr-s exhaust and intake for a couple of days, so it wasn't making much power but was running fine.

Car is currently in automania getting a full custom exhaust (celica cat with custome headers/mid piper/muffler).

Will do a decent write up once she's finished! Excited to see the car come home and see what power she makes.

I also installed a torsen LSD (as the mr-s comes with an open diff) and that got plenty of testing
Ryano
Fresh Boarder
Posts: 17
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#76579
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 327
Nice to hear this progress, another one about now, that's at least three of us now. Although I still have the 5sp
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
Moderator
Posts: 3976
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Meath Birthday: 04/26
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
#76615
Re: Mkiii 2ZZ-GE Conversion 2 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 154
Nice one!
Get some pics up if you get a chance!
Infamous
Petrol Head <(+_+)>
Addict
Posts: 2150
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Derry/Donegal Birthday: 04/22
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!
 
Go to topPage: 1