Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

No coolant left in the car... steamed up today
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today
No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 2
Hi Guys, I'm new to the site, and i was delighted to find an Irish Mr2 owners club, i'm on my 2nd MR2, i had a 1995 red T-Bar a back in 2007 and sold her to go to Auz... always regretted selling it but she found a good home in Offaly, maybe Niall Mulldoon who bought it is already a member of this site. Anyways i bought a 1992 black hardtop Turbo in January for €1900, and i've hardly driven it due to lack of time and petrol money! I have a diesel for normal everyday driving.

So today i was out in the Mr2 for my usual sunday drive of about 5 or 6 mile not even going hard i just warmed up the engine, then drove to the redline in 3rd on a couple of good stretches and back home and i was letting her tickover for a few mins and steam started coming from the coolant overflow pipe. The temp gauge was at the 10 o'clock position for the first time, its always stayed at the 9 o'clock before...

So i know i shud have checked the coolant level before driving it but i've only driven it about 12 to 15 times since January and it was full of coolant when i bought it so i dont know where 13-15 litres of coolant would have gone as there's never any residue under the car when she's parked up... i dunnno... should i just put in all new coolant or how would i find the leak if there is one? I hope its not in the pipes that go under the car.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and this is all prob a silly question anyways, but i'm a total novice mechanic!!
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
Ado9472
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim Birthday: 01/01
Last Edit: 2011/06/19 17:56 By Ado9472.Reason: spelling!
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 284
If you open up the bonnet, take out the spare wheel and the surround and on the left you will see the pump, sometimes the tubing can loosen and if theres a leak there you should see rusty colour below, the pipes that run underneath the car can be a pain if the leak is from there, is there any residue on the ground where you park it up? If its where the front right wheel sits it probably that tubing, if its right back wheel it could be the piping, left back wheel there could be an airlock and its overflowing back out
dshamrock2000
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 2
Thanks a million, I'm off til Friday so with the help of a more knowledgable mate I intend to tackle it, hopefully it's not to troublesome. I intend to give the car a bit of TLC as I scrape a few bob together, I think a good check-up from joe o reilly and get him to fit a new rad (my one looks crap) and maybe new hoses and a few interior bits she sould be good for a while, need to find somewhere proper to store it for the winter as my mate wants his hayshed back for his horses in a few months and I hate to have it parked out in the elements... Especially with the winters we've been gettin...
Ado9472
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 314
Was the steam coming out of this:

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

That happened to me once, the rear water housing is a two piece unit and there's an oring on the inside. Once the oring has gone you get a fine mist of water escaping out here and there. If so it's just a case of changing the oring and then topping up the coolant.

Welcome to the site and here's a karma click to get you started ;)
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 34
mine was loosing coolant like that with no evidence of it anywhere turned out to be a brass section of the pipe that split above the fuel tank joe said he'd seen a few of them leaking there. he also said its a pain in the hole to do and that was with the engine out so hope its not that on yours. try to get a pressure test done maybe you'll find it that way
ceramicpower
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 327
Ado9472 wrote:
Any suggestions would be appreciated, and this is all prob a silly question anyways, but i'm a total novice mechanic!!
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

This is not my normal suggestion, but I would bring it to a mechanic and make reference to the items raised below. A mechanic would be best placed to identify this problem as it may have any number of causes.

Including the hose from hell.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 59
Same thing happened me. It was the pipe above the fuel tank and as the lads have already said its a NIGHTMARE to fix. Fuel tank had to come out and that in itself is a bloody PITA. Welcome to the club though all the same and hopefully you get it sorted! Mine was perfect again after fixing it.
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male danielsheerin@hotmail.com Location: Letterkenny Birthday: 02/28

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 2
cheers everyone for all your help, i put 3 litres of water in it today, which seems to have topped it up, then i let it tick over for a few mins, drove her about 5 mile fairly hard, then home and again let it tick over for about 5 mins and the temp needle never stirred off the 9 o'clock mark so i think i'm sound for leaks, i'm gonna flush it and add coolant tomorrow but of course i'll be keeping an eye on the driveway in the morning for any residue underneath her. cheers again, this site is class! i'd love to go to a meet sometime, does there be anything in the west at all??
Ado9472
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Ado9472
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 314
Looks very clean - loving the wheels!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Cheers, the wheels were on it when I purchased it from a guy in Sligo in January, the blackened front parking lights were done too, dunno whether to change them back or not but it looks cool, have to get spots too, anyone selling some?? I'll put a message in the wanted section on here.
Ado9472
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 11
Its not fixed dude, ur water went somewhere, all 3 litres of it.
Had this happen to me with 4/5 mr2s, and steam pouring out of the expansion overflow pipe is a sign ur engine has no water left in it! the reson being is either ur headgasket is gone, or one of ur copper pipes that run above the fuel tank to the rad is cracked, both are common occurances in rev1/2 mr2s, especially turbos, iv had both happen to me, and id almost prefer it to be the head gasket! Pull of the stone guards under the car and if u have a brown stain on the guard under the tank its one of the pipes, if not its the gasket.
mitch
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Ok we flushed the old coolant out today and put new stuff in and bled the system, it turns out that the car dosnt have a belt attached to the water pump and alternator so that's why it's not cooling properly and why I had to buy a new battery a few weeks back! It's only 13euro on eBay for this belt and I'm gonna fit a new water pump while we're at it so she'll be sound then. Also I have plans to change the exhasut back to an original one, and fit a new radiator. The car had a bang to the front in the past and there's no aircon fitted back beside the rad, instead they left it out and just bent up the pipe, it's a bumper off a red one on it and it wasn't sprayed properly so that'll have to be done too and spots fitted. Basically I wanna have her back to original spec and in mint condition so she'll be worth a few bob in years to come. What ye think??
Ado9472
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 327
Ado9472 wrote:
What ye think??

I think your in the right place, good on you.

The car is cracking looking, only better to come, by the sounds of it
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 11
no belt on water pump means no timing belt, thats not the prob!
Top it up, and it'll use the water again till u find the leak.
mitch
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 59
Mitch is right, the water had to go somewhere. He's also right in suggesting it's probably better to be the head gasket! Absolute nightmare getting the copper pipes out. I've replaced mine with heavy duty plastic piping from a crane so hopefully I'll not need to replace them any time soon!
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male danielsheerin@hotmail.com Location: Letterkenny Birthday: 02/28

I will repeat what I said before!!

slipsliderg wrote:
Ado9472 wrote:
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

This is not my normal suggestion, but I would bring it to a mechanic and make reference to the items raised below. A mechanic would be best placed to identify this problem as it may have any number of causes.
slipsliderg
graphgraph

yep, dont worry guys as luck wud have it the accountant at my workplace is married to an ex Toyota mechanic that owns a Turbo of his own! He's building his own plane too so i trust him to work on the car and i'm gonna do the timing belt too while i'm at it! i've bought all on eBay quite reasonable, and he's gonna charge 200 labour some saturday he's free.
Ado9472
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: No coolant left in the car... steamed up today 8 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 217
Ado9472 wrote:
yep, dont worry guys as luck wud have it the accountant at my workplace is married to an ex Toyota mechanic that owns a Turbo of his own! He's building his own plane too so i trust him to work on the car and i'm gonna do the timing belt too while i'm at it! i've bought all on eBay quite reasonable, and he's gonna charge 200 labour some saturday he's free.

word of advice re: parts - important items like cambelts make sure you buy genuine Toyota parts or better ... and better only applies if you are running 300+bhp. eBay is fine for certain items but don't take chances with lesser items for the sake of a few £s.

Genuine Toyota belt is about £25
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

dan wrote:
Mitch is right, the water had to go somewhere. He's also right in suggesting it's probably better to be the head gasket! Absolute nightmare getting the copper pipes out. I've replaced mine with heavy duty plastic piping from a crane so hopefully I'll not need to replace them any time soon!

Ha ha, i did the very same, used hydraulic piping from a crane/digger, supposed to be much better, good for 60bar pressure, absolute nightmare of a job do, but i had no lift at the time so prob wudnt be as bad now.
Twas the minus 20degree winter that split mine in 4 places!
mitch
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Ok I'll use genuine parts so, by the way guys, does anyone have any rough ideas of how many MR2 Turbos there are in the country? It'd b interesting to even have a rough idea...
Ado9472
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1