Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

replace broken rear window
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: replace broken rear window
replace broken rear window 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 34
thought i'd put this in the howtwo's incase it ever happens to anyone

total cost: second hand window €70 (toyota wanted €410 +VAT) guy to fit it €50 stanley scraper €10 = €130

broken:

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

first thing is to remove the engine cover

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

next remove those 2 panels

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

gets tricky here. to remove the top spoiler first is 2 screws for the brake light. then inside you need to remove the 6 plastic panels behind the seats and the storage box in the middle. first the top and bottom then the sides. mostly clips so ne careful. only screws are 4 for storage box, 2 screws with the shirt hangers on them, 4 screws holding in the 2 rear fly window panels. when all these are out you can get to the 5 bolts holding the spoiler in you'll see them under rubber gromits across the top of the window.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

then there's 2 screws each side at the engine bay. when all these are out its still held in by a couple of clips so just pull it up gently they should pop out. now thats out you can see how the back window sits in place with 2 clips at the top and 2 screws either side. hold onto these and clean them out cos if like mine your new window mightn't come with them.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

also there's a rubber strip across the bottom of the window hold onto and clean this aswell.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

then you need to clean off all the stuck on rubber and silicone around where the window sat right down to the metal so you can get a good seal with the new one.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
this made life a lot easier. stanley scraper €10

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

next is fitting the window.

i got some bloke to come out and do it (took him 5 mins cost me €50!!)

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

if you want to do this yourself this can be done pretty easily. firstly you get silicone gun with black silicone and some silicone primer. primer around where you scraped off all the rubber then apply silicone gererously around the window. if like me you get one second hand window even when its cleaned properly you can see where the silicone goes so its handy enough. put the 2 clips on the top and use these to guide it in. when its in place screw in the 2 clips at the side then leave it sit for a couple of hours before you start putting it all back together

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

then its a matter of a reverse of all the above. not a complete pain in the hole but it will take you a few hours on a saturday :)

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
ceramicpower
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: replace broken rear window 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 59
Nice write up and the car looks brilliant! KC'd!
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male danielsheerin@hotmail.com Location: Letterkenny Birthday: 02/28

Re: replace broken rear window 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 313
Excellent write up and your car looks great!

Here's some karma clicks coming at ya
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Go to topPage: 1