Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

How Two, Clear Toblerones
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: How Two, Clear Toblerones
How Two, Clear Toblerones 7 Years ago Karma: 148
Right, one thing I hated on my car was the amber toblerone's. There is no clear replacement available. Nobody makes them, not autoart or anyone. Pain. So I was googling the topic and came across several ideas and threads. Seems that there is a guy on mr2oc.co.uk called wolfie308 who owns a plastic molding company. He can make up clear lenses etc to order.

I ordered a set of clear toblerone lenses from him. Arrived in a couple of days, well packed and for a total of approx 35euro inc P&P.

I was very happy with the quality, the moulding is so good, you can not only see but feel the raised TOYOTA on the leading edge. Perfect.

Now, fitting, bit of a job.

Before:

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

First you have to remove the indicator trim from the car. I managed to reach in behind the inner wheel arch with a small socket set and remove the two 10mm nuts that fix the indicator trim in place:
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Next job is to cut off the amber lense and grind the backplate completely flat so that the clear lense will sit flush. I kept test fitting it, but to save time, just grind the lip completely flat and smooth off:
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Once done I washed thouroughly, dried and masked up to spray the back plates silver as you will kind of see the backplates through the clear lense:

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

A quick coat of titanium silver later and they are left out to dry on the old washing line. (you could bang em in the oven to speed it up):

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Once you are happy that the paint is thoroughly dry, you can glue on the lenses. I first used a mould resistant, water proof, flexible, clear silicone. Looked like the job was done but yhey came away pretty easy a couple of days later. Shite! So then I used clear TEC-7. Best stuff I can find. Will even cure under water. They are now on there like OEM, solid:
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Finished and fitted and I am very, very happy with the result. I have a new, updated, modern look that still retains its OEM style. These look like they were Toyota factory fit. Sweet for 35euro.

BTW, this guide is a rough following of wolfie308's own guide, so thanks to him for making the parts, selling them to me and giving his own guide to fitting them. Cheers mate:
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

PS: I then upgraded all my front, orange bulbs to Silvatec's so there is no orange haze at all. The toblerones and front Crystal clear lenses all have a true clear look to them now.
_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010/07/09 23:29 By slipsliderg.
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re:Clear Toblerone HOW TO GUIDE 7 Years ago Karma: 102
looks great Steve, I have a pair of these myself waiting to be fitted for quite a while now
mnixon
graphgraph
Gender: Male m_s_nixon@hotmail.com Location: Dublin Birthday: 09/13

Re:Clear Toblerone HOW TO GUIDE 7 Years ago Karma: 312
Looks great Steve, KC +1 for the great writeup!
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:Clear Toblerone HOW TO GUIDE 7 Years ago Karma: 326
Sweet work there Steve, +kc for you indeed.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re:Clear Toblerone HOW TO GUIDE 7 Years ago Karma: 148
Thanks for the feedback lads, much appreciated.

I actually enjoyed doing them as much as I enjoy the finished result.

Mark, I am pretty much an expert on these now, have all the necessary tools, paint and glue. If you need a hand, give me a shout or you could always leave them in a box somewhere
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: How Two, Clear Toblerones 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 148
WTF is a red MK1 doing in there? I had a pic of the lenses hanging on a washing line?
Someone messing about or is it just the site?
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/04/16 18:17 By SWAGGER.
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: How Two, Clear Toblerones 6 Years, 1 Month ago  
SWAGGER wrote:
First you have to remove the indicator trim from the car. I managed to reach in behind the inner wheel arch with a small socket set and remove the two 10mm nuts that fix the indicator trim in place:
How exactly did you go about getting to the two nuts behind the indicator? About the only way I can get to them is through my flip-up headlight or by moving the inside wheel well cover out of place.

When I did move the nut it looks like it didn't want to move. I hope it didn't rust
MR2MIR

Re: How Two, Clear Toblerones 6 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 148
It says in the How 2, under the first pic. You need to get in behind the inner arch. If they are tight, then they might be seized a bit. Try to soak them in WD40 and let it soak in for a while, then have a go with decent socket set.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: How Two, Clear Toblerones 6 Years, 1 Month ago  
SWAGGER wrote:
It says in the How 2, under the first pic. You need to get in behind the inner arch. If they are tight, then they might be seized a bit. Try to soak them in WD40 and let it soak in for a while, then have a go with decent socket set.
WD40 wouldn't have worked in my case. The bolt head was stripping the minute I turned the bolt. It was that bad. One of the nuts actually took part of the bolt thread with it T_T.
MR2MIR

Go to topPage: 1