Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone.
Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone. 4 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 11
Anone on here know of a mechanic that can repair the turbo in a 94 MR2.? It sounds like the bearings as it gives a small rattle when you rev the car. Rattle doesn't stay in it for long, maybe a second or 2 on each acceleration. Any info on this would be great. I haven't bought the car just yet, waiting to find out if repair can be made at a reasonable price as seller is set on the price of sale.
Thanks in advance
Amps
Amps
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Andy1978m Bebo amps187 djamps@hotmail.com Location: Dublin Birthday: 08/04
Last Edit: 2015/08/20 16:22 By Amps.Reason: wrong catergorey
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone. 4 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 26
Tom Cooney in Portlaoise is you best bet as far as I concern - 0578620514
He is a very nice old man and definitely knows what he is doing. He reconditioned my ct20 few years ago.

By the way, are u sure its the turbo? Is there any smoke coming out from the exhaust under full boost? Would you be able to check shaft play?
Juliuswws
JDM Turbo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
¡oɔsǝʇ uı ʞǝǝʍ sıɥʇ dɐǝɥɔ ʎɹǝʌ ǝɹɐ spɹɐoqʎǝʞ ¡ʇno ʞool

Re: Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone. 4 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 11
Didn't notice any smoke coming from it. The rattle is coming from up under the heat shield area, a lad that was checking it over for me before i bought it said it's the bearings in the turbo. He seemed to know his way around it, so kinda wentt with it. Does that lad charge much to do it said.? And what sort of time frame would he have the car.?
Cheers for your help pal
Amps
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Andy1978m Bebo amps187 djamps@hotmail.com Location: Dublin Birthday: 08/04

Re: Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone. 4 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 26
Few years ago he didn't deal with removing/remounting the turbo, you had to bring the turbo to him by itself. I really don't think its changed, so you will need another mech to remove the turbo. I'd say just give him a ring for more info.
Price-wise I can't remember now, but expect a price of around 500.
Juliuswws
JDM Turbo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone. 4 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 11
Gave him a ring, price is spot on. And id havery to pay a mechanic to remove it for me too. Might end up near 100 all together. And then i have the clutch to look at. Need to think carefully about this one.
Amps
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Yeah, the price could go very high indeed. If you plan long term with your 2 it will well worth it.

Good luck mate!
Juliuswws
JDM Turbo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

That's true mate. A good 2 is worth the maintenance. Cheers for your help pal
Amps
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

My pleasure mate!
Let me know how did you get on.

Cheers
Juliuswws
JDM Turbo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone. 4 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 72
would you not just buy an aftermarket turbo similar in size so she dosent start guzzling fuel
spla300
Booooost!!!
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Picking the car up today and dropping it off with my mechanic to check it out. Might be an option to buy a replacement, but gonna try repair first. Cheers for info
Amps
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Turbo Repair or Replacement recommendation anyone. 4 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 24
is it 500 or 50 for fixing i got confused with 100 and 500 figures on the thread sorry. i dunno did ye mean 1000 altogether
Danmr2
nothing like an mr2 experience :)
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Danmr2 Location: Galway (clifden) Birthday: 03/14
Last Edit: 2015/08/23 13:28 By Danmr2.

Sorry pal, just noticed the error. Its around 500 to repair it. Then a mechanic has to be paid to remove it and refit it.
Amps
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1