Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare
WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 29
On Monday the 20th of September I had dealing with a private car seller in the prosperous / Clane area of North Kildare, This man seemed to have a ‘genuine’ like and interest in his MR2, this instilled a good bit of confidence of in me that this car had been looked after and cared for mechanically, so myself a MR2 ‘love struck puppy’ hopped in and test drove her and she was smooth, lively, and a dream to drive, after this a friend of mine who is a petrol head hopped in and drove it and he to drove her and was very happy, after this the private car seller produces the NCT cert that was done earlier this year. The car had done very little mileage since the NCT but this was because he didn’t have the time for the car thus was selling it. The car was not burning oil there were no distinctive knocks from the engine that would cause concern; it never missed a beat in the test drive which further installed false confidence in me that the car was sound!! It goes rather drastically downhill from hear tho.
So after a while inspecting the car asking questions and generally chatting I decided to buy the car there and then. Signed over the log book, handed over the cash and we went our separate ways…….

Four hours and about 65KM later I was on the road from Carlow -> Athy(home) and was in a line of traffic doing about 75/85 km/ph the oil light blinked, the turbo gauge wound up to full, I lost all power steering, all ability to break or accelerate, I looked in my rear view mirror and there was a fair deal of ‘papal’ white smoke… so I coasted for about 150 meters give or take and landed at the entrance of a farmer’s field, popped the engine lid and peered in nothing looked out of place, there was nothing bubbling, hissing or covered in a liquid, so decided to let the car cool down a bit… 15 mins or so later I tried to turn her over but nothing a small sound but that was of the motor trying to spin up but not turn over.
Rang a friend of mine who is an army mechanic and said come and get us stuck on side of the road with a new car etc… (good laugh at me) so got back to his anyhow and he checked the the timing belt had slipped so we left it after that for the night. The next day we decided to check some more and discovered the oil pump had decided to eat itself so there it was the route of all our problems.

So we drained the engine of oil and we found flakes of metal and some strange ‘blue’ material in the oil, but there was one thing the oil was very very fresh and clean. So what was this blue? The rocker cover had been Spray painted blue but not just the outside also the inside and the blue flakes of paint came loose with the oil swirling around in the engine (not a great idea) so now there was flakes of metal and blue now after fusing themselves to the inside of the engine the engine is wrecked, the turbo is starved from lack of oil from the pump failure.
I source a new engine, Grand I rang the owner he decides right I will give you a sum of money(400) for the new engine on the condition that he can have the old engine (an alright deal) so I rang him again and told him the turbo was wrecked so I asked did he have another one, he goes yeah I will get you one he brings it down with the money to collect the old engine, so here we are me 200 euro short in the envelope because he is now supplying a ‘refurb’ turbo. All this happening as he is loading the old engine into the back of a jeep and my mechanic mate decides right let’s check this “€200” “REFURBISHED” turbo and well well wasn’t he surprised when we turned around and said ‘ that’s wrecked’
So at this stage he had sold me a car which we think he might had have an idea was about to die, offered me money to take the old engine and towards to new engine, tried to take away a bit of the money and give me another wrecked turbo.. now this was not on!!! So confrontation happened and surprisingly enough he was told to keep his turbo, and give me that 200 euro he had decided to charge me for… wait for it what amount of money was there in his wallet… exactly 200 EURO.. I wonder did he know the turbo was wrecked and hoped we didn’t notice it? And if we did offer us money then run as fast as he could? I think so.. infact I can guarantee you that’s what happened.

Anyhow the reason for my story is lads mind yourselves I’m after getting done by this lad it worked out okay for me but I had his home address I had his number and I had legal action locked and loaded ready to go. I got some money back out of him but this did not stop him trying to have a second go at me with the turbo…. This guy a balls like a brass monkey and a neck as thick as a Jocky’s ….well you know what!

Now my fear is that parts of a 3S-GTE engine is going to start popping up and a CT20 also a CT26 Turbo are going to start popping up in the Clane, prosperous, Sallins, general area by a man in his 30’s named Ian. And I don’t want ye getting stung. Its already happened to one person and I don’t want it to happen to anyone else if it doesn’t have to.
Darc
Thrown in at the deep end
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010/10/01 19:20 By Darc.
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re:WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 328
Thats sucks Darc, he will get all the luck he deserves in time karma can be a bitch.

And on that subject here is a KC to help lift the head, forget the bugger and get your car finished, does ST not have a turbo he could sell you.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re:WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 29
Thanks a million... Oh I got a turbo a ct20 one sorted yesterdaywoth Joe O'reilly should ave it with me on monday..
Darc
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 217
Fair play for posting up the warning

I have added it to the MR2OC.co.uk site as well. Hopefully anyone thinking of buying parts from someone in Kildare will beware.

KC+14U
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 29
Thank you spanky! did i read you have a MR2 on the road again? congrats!
Darc
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 19
Well dude, Does this guys surname start with B? I think i may have hear of him before. If its the guy im thinking of he has his own car repair business at the back of his house.
Steelheart
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Steelheart wrote:
Well dude, Does this guys surname start with B? I think i may have hear of him before. If its the guy im thinking of he has his own car repair business at the back of his house.

You would be correct in thinking that!! so I was properly got by a con man was I?
Darc
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 217
Darc wrote:
Thank you spanky! did i read you have a MR2 on the road again? congrats!

Yeah back on the road with a new hub and brake caliper. A few other bits to be done next week and over the winter ..... I have a list - might do a project thread
Spanky
Addict
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Project thread look forward to keeping tabs on that!
Darc
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:WARNING!! Engine Parts and Turbos in North Kildare 11 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 19
I know of that guy a fair few years and he is in business a long time. He does racing himself. I would be shocked to think that he would have stung you deliberately. He is well known around Kildare area for working on Jap cars & is supposed to be a great mechanic. Id say he genuinely didnt know that the oil pump was about to fail. I dont think he would have let the car out knowing that it was about to happen.
Steelheart
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/10/02 04:34 By mnixon.

Ah right this is the first i heard about a business or anything as far as i knew he was a guy with a car sitting at home that had no more time for it. ah well sure were poppin out the other side of it no point lookin back on it anymore i shant be doin any dealings with him nor his business in the future.
Darc
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

(EDIT)
Steelheart
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/10/02 04:36 By mnixon.

To be honest with ya I wont answer ya on that one without running it by Quandry first as dont want to cause any problems for him or the site. by saying who it may or may not be.
Darc
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Aah yeah no bother dude. I was in Ian Byrnes place about 2 months ago and i remember seeing a white MR2 Turbo same year as mine 95 in there, thats why i thought of him when you said a guy from around Prosperous / Clane area called Ian.
Steelheart
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Its not nice getting a new car and have it go pop so I do feel for you bro.

My feeling is though that this guy was pretty reasonable. If he wanted to sting you he probably wouldnt have sold the car from his house and he certainly would not have assisted financially after the fact, he sounds like he genuinely gave a shit.

As for the turbo, he probably sourced it somewhere for you and took it over to you and wanted to see if you were okay with it, everyones idea of acceptable parts is different. He probably had the cash in his wallet as he wanted to make sure that if you didnt like the turbo he could fix you up.

Before buying my car recently I priced up what a replacement engine would cost and a timing belt change etc. I always consider that 2 miles up the road the engine can fail, it happens unfortunately.

Spraying the inside of the rocker cover and having the paint peel off is just silly but again I wouldnt say it was intentional. I have heard some really terrible stories of people being ripped and have had to get involved on occasion to try sort it out so have seen all sorts. Your situation was not ideal but the guy involved could have been a lot worse to deal with by the sound of things.
gv1.3
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

oh you can sing it that he could have been a lot worse! no i didnt meet him at his house i met him on the side of the road i have his address from the log book! but anyhow what is done is done and just wanted to issue a warning to be on the look out for parts that may or may not be coming into circulation.
Darc
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

I take on board everything that those who know this guy say but I think the clincher here is the faulty/dodgy turbo he tried to palm off.

While he may or may not have known that the car would go pop he would be able to assess the condition of the 'replacement' turbo especially if he has a car business.

Just my 2p

Heres hoping you get your 2 sorted soon, Darc I can give you a better guarantee than your seller .... you will love it
Spanky
Addict
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

@Spanky

I plan on loving it after the ammount of money i have put into it at this stage!!! nice slow loving for first few hundred km and after that we will see
Darc
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1