Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral
Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 4
Hi,

I had my 2004 MR2 serviced last week and they came back with the following list of broken things:

heavy oil leak from timing side of engine
oil leak from rocker cover
cylinder 2 full of oil

It also failed the NCT last week because the ABS light does not come on - I've seen a thread that goes through the options of what might be wrong but I'm not sure this is something I could check myself.

Does anyone have recommendations for a mechanic, or have any idea what these repairs might cost?

Thanks
Heather
h.burgess1
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 312
"cylinder 2 full of oil" - sounds strange? the car would not really run if that were the case I would think.

Sometimes mechanics are like Doctors and it's a good idea to get a second opinion. I had one mechanic tell me my engine needed a full rebuild because the head gasket was gone, it turned out to be just an o-ring needed replacing on the water distribution housing. I found that out by getting a second opinion.

If you are in reach of Dublin I'd recommend giving Clondalkin Auto Garage a call, ask for Terry and tell him that the MR2 club sent you. He's not an expert on MR2's but he did help me out with that o-ring issue and did a good bit of other work on my car in years gone by.

01 – 457 16 93
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 4
Thank you, I am in Dublin so I'll give him a call.

Definitely hoping to get a 2nd opinion as I agree it sounds strange; I wasn't super impressed with the place that did the servicing so looking for someone reliable.

Cheers!
h.burgess1
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 25
Look into the pre-cat issues with the MK3, it might help with the diagnosis.
weeJohn
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 106
Quandry wrote:
"cylinder 2 full of oil" - sounds strange? the car would not really run if that were the case I would think.

I'm going to assume this is likely to be the spark plug well that hes been referred to!
eringobragh
Addict
graphgraph

How did you get on Heather, any luck with a second opinion?
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 2 Months ago Karma: 4
Hi Quandry,

I had to go out of town this week so I haven't had a chance yet to bring it in, but I'm going to try to get out to Clondalkin Auto next week.

I asked the original company for more information and they sent me this:

There are 2 leaks on the engine 1 is coming from the rocker cover gasket on top of the engine that will cost roughly €147.
The second leak is coming from the timing chain cover and to do that one is a major job as we would have to remove the engine and replace the seal, while the cover is off it would be recomded to change the chain and also possibly the clutch seen as its out of the car.
We would advise to bring it for a hot steam wash to clean down the oil leak and check it in a few weeks to see exaxctly how bad it is first as it might only be a slow leak over time.

I am completely ignorant when it comes to these issues but this doesn't sound 100% reasonable to me. What do you think?
h.burgess1
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Removing the engine is quite drastic! go for the second opinion to be sure before committing to something like that.
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 1 Month ago Karma: 4
I wasn't able to get out to Clondalkin but I did get someone to look at the ABS light problem (I really just need to get it NCTed and then I can investigate the leaks etc)

They charged me 45 euro to tell me that the computer says the ECU and the motor are bad but that they couldn't be sure and wanted me to leave it with them to go over it part by part to see where the fault is, which I'm sure would be another 150-200 just for the diagnostics.

However the problem is not that the ABS light stays on, it's that the light doesn't come on at all. No one checked to see if it was just a bad bulb or fuse.

Has anyone had issues with the ECU before and can tell me what symptoms to look for to see if that's the problem? It runs fine, fuel efficiency is fine, no noticeable issues other than the ABS light. I think I'm just going to check the bulb and fuses myself and go from there.
h.burgess1
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

In case anyone is curious, I took apart the instrument panel today and discovered that the dealer who sold me the car had taped over the ABS light, concealing the fact that the light is actually always on.

Anybody have an ECU for sale?
h.burgess1
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 1 Month ago Karma: 106
h.burgess1 wrote:
In case anyone is curious, I took apart the instrument panel today and discovered that the dealer who sold me the car had taped over the ABS light, concealing the fact that the light is actually always on.

Anybody have an ECU for sale?

Thats a pretty scummy stunt - I'd be looking at doing a diagnostic first not sure but your 2004 should be OBDII compliant so I'd be getting an ELM327 and Torque and you can read the fault through the app - I'd say its likely a sensor and not the ECU

I think ABS and airbag systems are usually proprietary but the OBDII should give some indication.

Where are you based? If your in Dubilin close by I can run a scan
eringobragh
Addict
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2016/03/07 09:43 By eringobragh.

Skummy indeed.

Thanks very much for your offer of the scan! I checked the error code with a paper clip this weekend and it says the motor relay circuit is faulty. I found a step-by-step troubleshooting guide so I may give repairing it a go but there are a lot of issues popping up (oil leaks, bad gaskets, etc).

Honestly at this point I'm looking at just trading it in or selling it. Between the cost of repairs + the stupidly high insurance this year (1600!) it's costing me nearly as much as the car is worth.

Do you have any experience with the motor relay circuits, any idea if they are relatively straight-foward to repair?
h.burgess1
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Repair Advice / Mechanic Referral 1 Year, 1 Month ago Karma: 106
h.burgess1 wrote:
Skummy indeed.

Thanks very much for your offer of the scan! I checked the error code with a paper clip this weekend and it says the motor relay circuit is faulty. I found a step-by-step troubleshooting guide so I may give repairing it a go but there are a lot of issues popping up (oil leaks, bad gaskets, etc).

Honestly at this point I'm looking at just trading it in or selling it. Between the cost of repairs + the stupidly high insurance this year (1600!) it's costing me nearly as much as the car is worth.

Do you have any experience with the motor relay circuits, any idea if they are relatively straight-foward to repair?

Seems to be build into the pump after 03 - ECU and solenoid relay

www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38653
eringobragh
Addict
graphgraph

Thanks for the link - very helpful.

I found a cheap replacement ECM and a repair manual so looks like I have my plans made for the bank holiday next week! Worth a try anyway.
h.burgess1
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1