Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon)
Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 59
Just wondering if anyone has done it before? I'm attempting to make some gauge holders for where the air vents currently lie. I recently bought an oil filter relocation kit so I can get about hooking up my Omori oil temp and pressure gauges. Have a matching voltage gauge I'm going to stick in there too so its full up.

I've made an attempt but have no pictures yet. I had to grind out a LOT of the heater vent area to get my vents in. After I ground down the bottom edge (the one above the din slots) I made up some 52mm blanks out of very stiff cardboard. I selotaped them from the front of the dash trim so that they were hanging roughly in place. I had the middle one set right and the other two set by eye. It won't matter too much I hope. If they look gammy I'll remake them!

After they were in place I selotaped an old leaflet I had lying around to the front of the air vents where the blanks were taped. This meant that when I flipped it over I'd have a flat surface.

I then mixed up the isopon glass fibre paste and hardener. Golf ball of glass fibre for 3 pea size blobs of hardener. I put the mix into the air vents from behind, pushing around the edges and near the blanks. Once the whole area was covered I added some cardboard fins between the gauges for stiffness. I'm not even sure this will work but I did it anyway ! Final bit was to try and scrape most of the mixture from the back of the blanks. This makes removal easier.

I've taken the leaflet off the front and the blanks from the back and I'm left with a very respectable looking glass fibre mould. I'm going to wait for it to harden properly and trim around the edges before I go over the front of the panel in glass fibre and sand it down flush with the rest of the dash.

I'll probably paint it white again but the black looks good with my black gauges. I'll see how I feel once its all done!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or tips that might help me then please feel free to leave them here. This is my first attempt at anything like this so any help is appreciated. If I muck it up I'll just rip it out and redo it
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male danielsheerin@hotmail.com Location: Letterkenny Birthday: 02/28
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 213
Good stuff - f/g is always something I'd like to mess about with but never got around to it.

I am thinking to get the ducktail spoiler - and if I do, I'd like to smooth it onto the body.

When you get a chance, get some pics up of your work so far.
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 314
Sounds interesting! good to see someone taking some initiative KC+1 for you Dan - keep us posted on how it goes and would love to see some pics.
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 59
Ok I'm still not finished but this is what I've done so far. The first thing I did was to cut out the middle part of the heater vents with an angle grinder. An angle grinder is all I had so I used it to take a few millimeters from both the top and bottom parts of the vent area. This is so my din gauge holder can fit. Oh, I forgot to say that I ended up using a DIN sided gauge holder instead of fabricating my own. This was mainly down to the fact I had one lying around and it was far stronger than just doing it in fibreglass. I'd recommend anyone trying this to buy one on eBay or somewhere. They're only a few euro.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

I put the gauge holder in and made sure it sat flush with both sides and along the length of the panel. Once that was done I started to mould the fibreglass around it. I messed up the mix at first and it was an unholy mess of a thing. Second time round I got it spot on. If you're using Isopon P40 then it should be redish in colour like this.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

As you can see it doesn't matter how precise you are. The aim is to get as thin a coating as possible while ensuring that its strong enough around the edges and at each side. I'll be trimming it down later with a stanley knife and file. I used Isopon P38 filler to fill in the holes and make it smooth enough for paint.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Thats it so far. I'm going to take a few more photo's in a while after the filler has hardened and I've sanded it smooth. I'm spraying the hoods of my gauges white too so they blend in a bit better. I test fitted them with black hoods and it just doesnt look right. The fibreglass in the above pics hasn't been sanded down very well by the way! It'll look alright when its finished...I hope! :blush:
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Fair play to you Dan, will be interesting to see the end result
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 148
Great work man, fair play. I love to see someone taking a shot at something like that and getting a great result to be proud of. Also a big fan of one off custom stuff that is unique to you and your car.

Can I ask a stupid question though? What about the vent? So you are obviously going to be down on available air, be it hot or cold. Do you think that you will get by on the left and right vents near the doors? Just curious is all, I was pondering the air flow in the car after doing something like that. When I was buying my car, I test drove one where the guy had removed the vents, stuck the stereo where the vents used to be and put in a single din gauge holder and mounted an AVC-R in the double DIN spot. So thats when I first started considering the effects of removing the main vent.

Cheers and good look finishing it off, keep us posted with more pics.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Here's a few pictures of it with the paint just applied.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Going to wait until morning to check the paint and if its not 100% I'll sand it down lightly and go over it again. Looking alright so far. Going to be a pain routing the pipes for the oil temp and pressure though. I have mechanical Omori gauges. I put my GReddy turbo timer where the clock is today as well. Not sure what to do about the small gaps around it though. Anyone have any ideas? Thought about cutting up the clock surround but its a bit thick and I don't really have anything to cut it with. Maybe I could make up another bit with the fibreglass and some cardboard? It doesnt need to be strong or too stiff. It wont support anything. Its just to plug a hole.
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Wow, looking good buddy, nice progress. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Id say use the fiberglass around the clock, you seem to be pretty handy with it.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Haha, well its the first time I've used it so every time from now on will be an improvement! As for your question about the vents I'm not really sure how I'll get on. I don't really use them much anyway. I usually have the heat pointed at the window or at the window and down at my feet. If its warm the windows are down and if its cold I'll just wear a jacket!
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Haha, good answer, problem sorted. Seems like it was never an issue to begin with. Right, well, thats an impressive little DIY mod, credit to ya!

Be sure to show us the whole thing finished and in place in the car, including your clock job. Thats a good idea in itself, but ur turbo timer must be pretty small and neat. Cant see my HKS one fitting in there!
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 328
Excellent work there, KC for you.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 213
We'll be keeping an eye on progress. Hopefully by the end of the summer, you'll be making bumpers and side skirts

Tim @ TBDev used to make batches of a cool roof-pod - perfect for fitting an AVC-R. Very cool f/b project.

I'd say one you get into f/g work, it might get addictive - subwoofer enclosures etc

Have you looked at that Border vented bonnet mod ? Basically a guy in the UK cut the two strips of metal and bent them down. Then used fibreglass to build up the sides - very neat job.
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

To be honest I like working with the stuff. Its a bit tedious and time consuming but I do like seeing the end work. This first piece was a bit rough but I'm sure I'll get better the more I practice. I have one of Tims roof pods in my own car actually. I could try and make a mould of it and make a few if I get time.
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 6
very stylish modification should look impressive when finished
gerwynmr2
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: penygraig rhondda south wales Birthday: 07/22

Had a look at the dash clock today. Its actually bigger than I imagined in my minds eye last night, so it seems I could fit my HKS turbo timer in there...hmmm interesting. I might consider doing that if I can come up with an alternative clock. I do like to know the time at a glance.

Whats this about a roof pod? Also interesting, may look into that too. My Apexi FC controls my boost, via the commander, but I think I would like an AVC-R....more money, more time, more problems....damn it. Gotta stop thinking and reading these threads, its very expensive!!
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Here's my first attempt at a surround for the turbo timer. Turns out it was too thick at the back to fit in so I'm currently waiting for a new one to set that just has the faceplate.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Here's the roof pod for the AVC-R. I fitted it myself and wasn't that bad. Just have to undo the roof lining a bit and the A pillar. I keep meaning to get it re-covered in grey fabric but I don't have a clue where to get it. Maybe a scrap yard or breakers might have a bit? I'd only need a square foot or so.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/05/11 20:57 By dan.

Jesus man, fair play to you, ya dont hang around. Im actually looking for a black roof pod and an AVC-R now myself. I reckon you could get grey liner in most decent motor factors. Dont know about Halfords etc, but im sure ive seen it in one or two of the smaller, local motor factors. Anyway, looks the mutts nuts fitted.

I like this turbo timer clock idea, good job, came across this earlier while doing some research on this whole thing:
www.tbdevelopments.com/forum/viewtopic.p...t=blitz&start=15
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Yea I seen Jeffs thread about that when he was doing it. Very interesting idea but I don't feel like taking apart my turbo timer to mount it there!

I hit a bit of a speedbump with the surround for the turbo timer though. The front faceplate I made was a bit rubbish so binned it and I'm trying to figure out what I'll do now instead. Fibreglass is properly fiddly for something so small and thin.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the gauge holder in place in my car. I dummy fitted the stereo and cubby box along with one of the gauges. I think it looks great. The only thing is the paint job on this panel is much better than the rest of the white dash parts. I'm going to have give the other panels a top coat or else just sand back, primer and re-spray them all. Have enough primer for it but need another bottle of white spray! What do you guys think? It'll be a while before I get the gauges wired in and working but when I do I'll get a pic of them all lit up!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

That looks real good Dan, but it might be time to upgrade the heater control unit now as well. Looks a bit out of place IMO.
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 284
Wow!!
dshamrock2000
graphgraph

Don't let Ben hear you say that about the heater controls! It's one of his carbon fibre units

It does look slightly out of place though. I have the dial surround for the speedo too but when I put them in I didn't have white dials or white dash. They look OK in the speedo cluster but maybe I should do something different with the heater controls? Another project maybe!
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Ohh right so, perhaps LED conversion with the lights would smarten it up.

Disclaimer: I am not much of a modded interior fan, but still think the work you done looks ace.
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Yea I might try that actually. Almost everything else in the cabin is lit up blue so will try get some blue LED's in there at some point. Wouldn't mind getting a spare heater control unit to give another idea a go.

Cheers for the kind words though lads. Took ages to get right but its done now almost and I'm happy!
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 284
Do you have a pic of the dials? ive seen a few bargains on ebay germany, i'll post them up
dshamrock2000
graphgraph

My own white dials? They're Speedhut ones I bought second hand. They say MPH at the bottom but read in KPH if you know what I mean. 100 MPH = 100 KPH. Its actually out by about 10kp/h though. My AVC-R is bang on though. Tested it both by using on board GPS and through the signs that tell you what speed you're doing on some roads.

You can see them here from a distance.

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

One word...WOW!! What a job, really looks good Dan, seriously. I am well impressed. Deffo a KC+1 for all of that effort.

The heater unit looks ok from a distance as you can see the CF a little better than the close up shots, where they just look black. Maybe as you say, some blue LED's will help bring it up to par with the rest of your work.

Fair play man, keep us posted, looking hot even with one gauge in place!
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

A+ very nice. For my taste I would have gone back to black but you've done a very professional job of it!
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

OK here is what it looks like pretty much finished. I still have to wire up the gauges and plumb them into the engine but thats a job for another day. I'm going to Halfords later to pick up some wire and I have my soldering iron at my other place so I'll collect it too and finish up this job! The hardest part of the whole process was getting the fibreglass smooth but in the end I'm satisfied with the results. It could be smoother but then I dont really have the tools, time or skills to get it to factory standards. As a DIY job its good enough for me!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
dan
Hit it with a hammer
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Working with Glass Fibre (Isopon) 12 Years ago Karma: 102
Top work Dan, looks great

Did you block the vent off or just leave it as is?
mnixon
graphgraph
Gender: Male m_s_nixon@hotmail.com Location: Dublin Birthday: 09/13

First class buddy, well done. I cant see any quality issues from the photos anyway. Looks factory enough right there.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Go to topPage: 12