Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Toyo T1R's
Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 327
Well I did something that is unusual for me the other day, I took what people have been saying for years about Toyo tyres and bought a full set for my standard 1995 MR2 Rev 3 15” rims, my car is a non turbo and so should not be as hard on tyres as the turbo version.

This purchase was mainly spurred on by the complete lack of grip offered by my current tyres (Hankook ventus) in the wet and a impending track day with the possibility of rain at the end of September. My current tyres would have me entering each corner backwards without any chance of recovery.

Ordered them from Camskill and received 2 days later for the princely sum of €370 including delivery.

Front: 2 x 195/55/15 OEM size

Rear: 2x 225/50/15 OEM size

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Got them fitted this lunchtime, just as it began to rain, a good a time as any to try out new rubber I suppose. So here is my impression of them for both wet / dry / track use (more info to be added later)

Wet road (N52):
Went out in the car in the rain to bed in the tyres, first job I did was set the pressures, rear at 36 PSI and fronts at 32 PSI as this is the normal pressure I use in the summer months.

First impressions, they have more grip than the previous tyres even before they are bedded in. Good start I think, after about 30 miles of main roads I started to up the ante and they performed well. Road noise is slightly more than others I have used but that doesn’t bother me.

Braking: the roads today were greasy with the summer rain so I wasn’t expecting much, they worked well and only locked up because I asked them to, not too early and they felt planted on the road.

Standing water: not an issue, however I would expect that with new tyre with such a large open area for allowing water to dissipate.

Acceleration: rear wheels only spun up when really provoked to do it, was nice knowing this will improve with a few more miles.

General handling: the front seemed a bit more vague than I am used to, but I may need to alter the pressures to get the most from them. I would go so far as to say I got a bit of understeer on slow corners, which my car is not set up to do. The sidewalls of these tyres are harder than other brands and as such may take me a bit of time to get used to the feel of them and their slip point. Perhaps a few more miles will get rid of this element; I will reserve judgement for now.

The feel from the road to the steering wheel is informative and they instilled more confidence as the miles progressed. I was impressed with the grip level at moderate speeds on moderate to hard corners in the wet. After the 75 odd miles I covered when I got out of the car the tires could be seen to dry of moisture and they were warm to touch, this gives me the confidence that I have purchased a good set of new shoes for my motor.

Having had the Hankook Ventus on the car for so long has made me slightly reserved in the wet I think the Toyo’s may have started curing that today. I am happy with my new purchase so far and look forward to pushing them on a bit more in the coming miles.

Dry road (Lough Erne drive 450kms):

General handling: the tyres preformed adequately on the motorway up and down to Enniskillen, not to noisy and comfortable enough with my suspensions setup.

On the roads around the lake they worked well when required to, and the sidewall flex has either reduced or I have adjusted my driving to suit. All in all I am happy enough with them when motoring along, but they still don’t inspire full confidence in the MR2.

Why? Well it’s down to this you are coming into a corner and complete you braking, turn in, then you feel the car wallow into the turn. Then it reaches a limit of wallow where the tires grip and do their job without fuss, I can only put this down to sidewalls.

This wallow effect, can frighten the best of us as the MR chassis arrangement does not take to vagueness kindly.

To get these tires to breakaway on my N/A is not something I have managed to do yet. With my suspension settings there is no understeer and very little oversteer.

So all in all for a road tyre they are adequate, but I will move onto Kumho Ecsata next.

Track time (Mondello): Dry day, mild Temp’s

General handling: went out on track and gave the car two full laps to limber up for the assault to come and was happy enough for the minute. The vagueness is still there, but ignored it. So after a few laps things were going ok, enjoying the spirited driving and getting back into the rhythms and lines on the track. Braking traction was good, corner traction was good and acceleration grip was good also.

Everything was shaping up nicely. So I pushed on for a few more laps until I start to feel the tyres go off and were sliding more than anticipated. So I pull into the pits and inspected the tyres to find they were well heated up and loosing lumps of rubber.

This did not improve during the day, I would get to about laps six and it would be a repeat performance sliding wise, now never one to waste an opportunity I duly slid around. However after six laps I was taking a lap to cool them down before taking off again till they heated up, kinda messed up my flow on the trackday.

Braking: No problems, with diving into the corner deep, a couple of time I out broke myself, should have left it later.

Acceleration: heating problem as stated above caused an amount of fun on the corners.

Overall: keeping these as road tires, will look for another set of rims and probably get cut slicks for them for the next sessions.
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2011/09/26 22:12 By slipsliderg.
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 217
knew you'd like them

they are even better on dry roads. They will only spin when you force it and that is even with my extra power and torque that is missing in your car
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 47
Very nice , I bet you can`t wait for the track day now !
It wouldn`t surprise me that if it`s a sunny dry day that you will pull a set of slicks out from somewhere ha ha Best of luck with them Ray .
TurboD
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male turbodawson@gmail.com Location: Celbridge Birthday: 01/29
If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room !

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 45
SNAP ha iv ordered the same to for the track day was going for the r888,s as there a great tyre on the primera but they arent the best for millage and i dont think il have money to buy a set of tyre,s again for awhile so i went with these as they seem like value for money just hope there good
anto300zx
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 327
anto300zx wrote:
SNAP ha iv ordered the same to for the track day was going for the r888,s as there a great tyre on the primera but they arent the best for millage and i dont think il have money to buy a set of tyre,s again for awhile so i went with these as they seem like value for money just hope there good

I considered the R888's but they don't get much regard in the wet and the MR2 is bad enough in the wet let alone trying to chase down my mates 320bhp Impreza in my wheezy N/A.

That reminds me must bring some bags of cement to slow him down a bit
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 45
i was told that to before i got them on the primera but i cant fault them in the rain even in the front wheel drive dont get me wrong they need a small bit of heat in to them but after that there great !
anto300zx
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 327
Spanky wrote:
[b]@Ray: I presume you are happy with the Toyo's then??

I am still figuring them out Spanky, they are a bit different in the dry, but it could be driver or pressure related.

I was going to ring you on the way home to seek your tire pressure guidance, so what do you run at front and back.

Rear at 36 PSI

Fronts at 32 PSI

What seems to be happening is tyre flex, if you come into a corner hard and turn in the car seems to turn in, wallow a little then hold its line. This is fine if you only input a single steering movement but if you alter throttle / steering or hit a couple of bumps or ridges the wallow comes back in and its a bit unsettling.

Also on bumpy roads I have found the fronts to be, by my best definition, bouncy.

All the above points to sidewalls like I have not had on other tires and Anto300zx witnessed the sidewalls flexing while we were coming off the hills today. It can be driven around once you get used to the flex / wallow as the grip is good in the tires. They just arn't inspiring me yet.

I might try uping the pressure to see if that removes the issue, but doing that will reduce the available grip from the tyre.

Sure we will enjoy trying different settings and see how we go, I think Anto has them on his car as well, wouldn't mind his comments from a Turbo perspective as well as yours.
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 45
yes i seen on slips car what im feeling in mine ! 2day was the first time i have givn the car a good run since iv fitted t1r,s on my car and i have to say im not very happy with them and i cant see myself keeping them for long.dont get me wrong they do offer good grip in the dry they just dont offer great support regading the side walls and not alot of feed back,i do regular runs to the mountains and like to have confidence in my tires and brakes but i think these let the side down im afraid and i think come the track day when they get a good heating the side walls will turn to jelly and become sloppy.thats just my opinon.
anto300zx
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 217
The sidewalls on the standard fronts are particularly weak (not sure what sort of wheel you have Anto).

It feel like a little bit of under steer and I always noticed it on roundabouts if I accelerated while turning.

The same tyres on my 17" rims dont seem to do the same anywhere near as bad but they are a much lower profile - 45 instead of 55 on similar width - so I suppose there is less to flex.

The sidewall rating is typically high 80s, but this is fairly typical of tyres this size, although you might get other makes that supply a reinforced or run flat tyre that would be stiffer
Spanky
boost is best...simples!!
Addict
graphgraph
Gender: Male markspenceni Location: Moira, N Ireland Birthday: 04/15

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 327
Original post edited and updated
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 70
Great writeup Ray.

Anyone use Uniroyal Rainsport Tyres? I had them on a Fiat Coupe 20v turbo and they had great grip in the wet?
Punky1968
Galway MR2
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 45
i will also comment on these as i was out on track to the same day.and i feel they let me down big time SHIT being the oprative word i was only getting one and a half laps before they were getting very sloppy which got worse as the day went on and towards the late afternoon i found it handier to drift alot of the bends in the tighter parts as it was very boaty ! and after the track day my passanger rear is now no longer road legal as the whole out side section on the tread patern as worn away along with half the toyo name on the wall and the limit marker so its new tyres again for the nct on the 7th and it wont be t1rs haha
anto300zx
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 312
Hi Slip,

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of Falken 452's... any particular reason why you don't like Falken's - and what model number where they?

I had Falkens on my Celica years back and they seemed fairly handy.
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 327
Quandry wrote:
Hi Slip,

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of Falken 452's... any particular reason why you don't like Falken's - and what model number where they?

They were 512's I had on a celica as well and they were OK, got them on the ME2 and they were very low on the grip scale.

I have never tried 452's on any car yet and not sure if they are still available.
slipsliderg
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 108
slipsliderg wrote:
Quandry wrote:
Hi Slip,

They were 512's I had on a celica as well and they were OK, got them on the ME2 and they were very low on the grip scale.

I have never tried 452's on any car yet and not sure if they are still available.

I have ordered 452's and will have them Monday
ricky2
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
rickyd96 Location: carrickfergus Birthday: 01/15

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 11
I've 452s on the front (215/45R17) and I'm happy so far, but I've not had much chance yet to go hard on them - still adjusting to a petrol rear wheel drive instead of the A4 daily driver. It's getting harder to locate 452s these days - apparently Falken have stopped production. I couldn't locate them for the rear tyres, so i'm putting 912s on instead (255/40/17)
cathalferris
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 35
Ok I am a bit late to this thread but have had Falkens 452's on my MR2 235/40/18 and 215/40/18 for the last month and a bit and have to say they are very decent tyres with loads of grip. Tried a few times to see if I could loose the back end while turning from low speed in first gear (or was it second) and planting the shoe but nope the car just holds on and didnt get understeer either. I am running 33psi back and 29psi front. Dont get me wrong the back end will break loose eventually but it takes alot or a good old clutch kick/handy brake.

In the wet I have driven the car hard on back roads and never has the car missed a beat with these.

The wear rate seems to be very good so far with 6ish return trips to Dublin from West Cork and spirited driving around the country side.

I dont have massive experience with tyres for the MR2 but I can definetly recommend these to people.

However do be warned first miles should be taken handy as the tyres are not grippy at all and will spin for you at the least amount of throttle! But this is prob the same for all tubbies :-p

Baz
basch32
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane."
Senior Boarder
graphgraph
Go Hard or Go Home

Re: Toyo T1R's 5 Years, 5 Months ago Karma: 27
I just love toyo's they suit the mr2's well. But had a set of yokohamas once even better but they didn.t last long. When I bought my Turbo, I was the first irish owner, it had a set of bridgestone Grid 2's was well impressed. A tyre with good grip will not last long but well worth it for the smile factor. I think the Mr2 was sold with yokohamas from the showroom, read it in an article some where.

Falken Zeis, ventus prime, ok

BF goodrich, Crap, skidmarks in my pants loads a times, i prefer to keep my sid marks on the black suff.

I found no difference in tyre wear between the turbo and the N/A, Only difference was the tyre wear was mor even on the Turbo.

This is just my 2 pence.

Crmr2
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1