Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Padji's Mk2 MR2 G-Limited
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Padji's Mk2 MR2 G-Limited
Padji's Mk2 MR2 G-Limited 7 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 3
I just copied and pasted here from Backroads.ie so forgive me if I'm in the wrong section!

So, eventually getting a thread up here. Picked this up a few months ago from -MICK- (for sale thread here: www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?1...a-MR2-G-Limited-SOLD). Coming from 2 Mk1s, I developed a soft spot for the Mk2s after many years of being pretty cold on them. I think they've aged well and carry their years well. They seem to have largely gotten over the skanger image and there are a few good ones still about which have avoided the boy racer bodykits.
Having never driven one of these before, I expected basically a more modern version of the Mk1 but I have to say I'm way more impressed than I expected. It's fair to say the car was cared for pretty well over the years and is very solid. Despite it coming up to it's 20th birthday, the body work is generally good with only a few little scrapes, dents etc. and no rust which is a major positive after graduating from the Mk1s.

I haven't had it out yet on track and but had it on a few back road blasts and it's ability to carry speed into the corners is impressive, helped in part by the Potenzas on the rear and how flat the car remains when pushing on. The engine - as per the ad - is very strong and pulls hard with a surprising dollop of torque for low down for an N/A engine. There is definitely more urgency that the E46 325ci which I had previously and it would certainly seem to have more fizz than my old Clio 172. I don't know if the Jap models have a different exhaust system that the UKDM versions but this car seems to have a raspier note than any of the UK models I had previously been around. It's a great car to throw about and great fun in the wet and more manageable than I expected despite it's MR layout. You can feel the lightness on the front when pushing on and it does require a change in driving style by braking hard and late just before turn in - would like to test this style out properly on track.

I didn't take any interior pics as I has it overloaded with sh!te but the navy cloth seats are in great nick with no rips/tears and are a perfect fit although I wouldn't like to be a heavy dude in one of these; I guess they would be great on track. I was concerned that I wouldn't fit into it with a helmet on like the Mk1 but there's a decent bit of headroom considering I'm about 6'1". The driving position is pretty much perfect and the location of the gear knob is great although the gearshift is not as rifle-like as the Mk1 IMO. The pedals are well positioned, perfect for practicing my heal-toeing (I'm terrible) and the brakes are excellent; I though they were upgraded but was surprised to find out they are standard pads/discs with braided lines being the only modification. I understand the non power steering models (pre-Rev 3?) have a better feel but the steering on this has a nice weight and is helped by the smaller steering wheel. Being a Jap import, it's well specced with leccy mirrors, windows, and freezing cold aircon although the FM radio doesn't work and the driver's side speaker has blown but they're minor irritants.

Overall, the plan is to keep it standard and just enjoy driving it. There's a few wee bits it does need which I'll hopefully tip away at over the winter (all the car money is going on the E30 at the minute!):
- Sort out radio and driver's side speaker
- Get the horn fixed - hopefully just a wiring issue
- Set of good interior mats
- New gear knob
- Maybe a fresh set of front clear indicators
- Driver's door seal (bit of annoying wind noise)
- A detailing to tidy up the exterior. Have a voucher which needs to be used fortunately

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
padji
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2014/09/07 00:09 By padji.
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Go to topPage: 1