Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully)
MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully) 3 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 4
When I put my MR2 back on the road in April it didn't run well on first few outings which I put down to stale petrol and lying up for the winter. EML would come on occasionally and then clear while still driving. Then it ran fine for a good number of weeks until I started to get a code "14". Following some investigations, a new coil and lots of tracing/testing of wires in the harness it was still giving trouble - car would start and run fine for a few miles then the EML would come on and it would run badly but at least I could get home.
Earlier this week I borrowed an ECU from a kind gentleman (slipsliderg - twin car) and car is now running very well. So it seems fairly definitive that it is an ECU issue and when I took a look inside I did see one leaky capacitor.
So now I'm looking for another ECU (89661-17480) or looking to get my ECU repaired (any suggestions on good ECU repair places?)
liammoo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2018/07/13 16:12 By liammoo.
Comments? Suggestions? Register above to have your say!

Re: MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully) 3 Months, 1 Week ago Karma: 21
Great you narrowed it down to the ECU. "ECU repair place" sounds expensive, any electronics repair shop could do it for you in 10 minutes if you bring it to the shop without the enclosure (ESD bag could be handy to have) and they really shouldn't charge more than €20.
You need around 8 caps which you can get from Farnell. They are like 30-40 cents each if you choose fancy ones, there the next day and postage is free.
Juliuswws
JDM Turbo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
¡oɔsǝʇ uı ʞǝǝʍ sıɥʇ dɐǝɥɔ ʎɹǝʌ ǝɹɐ spɹɐoqʎǝʞ ¡ʇno ʞool

Re: MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully) 3 Months ago Karma: 4
Thanks for the information. I'll see if the ECU repair places get back to me and what their prices are. They have test setups so I guess they can run simulations on ECUs to verify they are working ok. Failing that it might be worth just having the caps replaced if it is a relatively small cost.
liammoo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2018/07/16 12:15 By liammoo.

Re: MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully) 2 Months, 4 Weeks ago Karma: 21
You are welcome!
Let us know how did you get on. Make sure all caps will be replaced, not only the one visibly wrong. They all drift out of specs over time.
Juliuswws
JDM Turbo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully) 2 Months ago Karma: 4
So it looks like this issue is finally resolved. The "ECU repair shop" was proposing to find a reconditioned ECU ($$$) and I went with that option. When it eventually arrived it was the wrong part and had different connectors on it. Also they couldn't source an exact same part number. So I went ahead and purchased an ECU from Mr Eringobragh which had a different part number but from same year and spec car - the only difference seems to be JDM vs UK car.
[Note my part number was 89661-17480 and the replacement is 89661-17500].
I've driven the car for about 150 kms and all seems to be running well.
I'm going to get my old ECU back from the ECU repair shop and get an electronics repair shop to fix it up just to have a backup
liammoo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully) 2 Months ago Karma: 21
Great to hear you are up and running!

I hope the repair shop wont rip you off

Cheers
Juliuswws
JDM Turbo
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re: MR2 n/a running problems - SOLVED (hopefully) 1 Month, 4 Weeks ago Karma: 106
Great to hear you got sorted
eringobragh
Addict
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1