Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Kill Switch
Kill Switch 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
Hi guys,

There has been a serious increase in the number of cars being stolen in my area over the past couple of weeks. Some little fuckers tried to get into my MRS three times in the past couple of months, and luckily enough they were unable to do so.

A friend of mine recommended getting a kill switch for added security.

1. Have any of you guys had one of these installed, or installed one yourself?

2. Would Toyota install one of these or would I have to get someone to do it for me?

3. Are they worth getting?

Thanks,
Pete.
sjones
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The topic has been locked.

Re:Kill Switch 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 213
Sorry to hear about that - can't stand scum like that.

A kill switch can help stopping them get away - but at that stage it might be too late in terms of them having damaged the car. A good alarm/immobiliser will stop 95% of the knackers.

I've an alarm with a pager - so, if someone is at the car, it will page my keyfob as well as setting off the alarm outside. Leave the keyfob beside your bed at night.

Are you trying to stop them getting away with the car (i.e. could already be vandalised) or deter them ?

I've extra LED's for my alarm, so, its obvious that it is alarmed.

If you're leaving the car unattended, have you considered the metal poles which are sunk into your driveway ? Just pull it up and lock it at night.
Spidey
Administrator
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG
I promise, this is going to be my last mod ....

3S-GTE Power Primer !

Re:Kill Switch 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 148
A mate of mine that had a 2 years ago, used to pull out the plug leads any time he parked anywhere! There a number of things you can do. One of the best visual deterents is a big huge chain wrapped around the steering wheel and the seat rails.
SWAGGER
MK2-REV3-T-Bar-Turbo
Addict
graphgraph
LOVE YOUR 2!

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:Kill Switch 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 52
SWAGGER wrote:
A mate of mine that had a 2 years ago, used to pull out the plug leads any time he parked anywhere! There a number of things you can do. One of the best visual deterents is a big huge chain wrapped around the steering wheel and the seat rails.
Never really got that,when i see that it just looks like theres no alarm.

You have to be pretty inventive with kill switches,if you use the fuel pump you'll notice it not priming and if you use the IGN it'd be the first place you'd look.Although there are plenty of places to break the power to stop a car from starting.

Then you have to hide the switch and wiring,somewhere thats accessible and within arms reach so they dont see you using it.

I could give you ideas etc but with the way cars are being robbed (one was lifted about 6 mile away 2 nights ago) no one will really be forthcoming to give you the ideas as most have them in the same place as the suggestions.

So just make sure its out of view and not in an obvious place,like under the dash somewhere and that all wiring is hidden,take a different route than normal and bunch it in with the loom.

One idea you can try would to be replace an OEM Switch's wiring with that of the kill switch,ive seen this done a few times,it can work and it cant though depending on how smart the thief is.

IMO your best bet is alarm with a big siren,dirty big LED,good immobilizer and a killswitch as a last resort.Once you actually have an alarm they'll just move onto the next one without an alarm to save hassle,and there is still alot of people who dont use alarms,which with hope,will change in the near future,if we all had good security the car crime would go down and so would premiums.

What i have at all times on my own is alarm,immobilizer,kill switch,Alsatian and CCTV.
It was tried once and failed but myself and my brother followed them for about 15 miles while on the phone to the Guards until they pulled them over. Good night that,when a guard asks if you can keep them in view until we get there and then asks if it was a good chase like a kid talking about a film he seen it sounds funny,but damn re-assuring at the same time.

My 2c
dan_ep82
Senior Boarder
graphgraph

_KUNENA_BBCODE_HIDEIMG

Re:Kill Switch 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 108
Removeable steering wheel + a good alarm Mine has a proximity sensor barks at you if you get to close
ricky2
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Kill Switch 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 328
PM sent
slipsliderg
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
graphgraph
"Happier than a tornado in a trailer park"

"Just as in cuisine, the ‘flavor’ of a car is quite important…”
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Re:Kill Switch 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 3
Thanks for the replies guys. I can see no harm in getting one as an extra mindfuck for the knacks. My protection will be xxxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxx and a xxxxxx just incase.
sjones
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/08/28 18:19 By Quandry.

Re:Kill Switch 10 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 314
Good and useful thread, but let's not put up too much info in a public place. if you have other suggestions for the original poster please PM him.

Thread locked.
Quandry
Retro throwback
Administrator
graph
MR2 Drivers
If you're suffering from lag, you're either in the wrong gear or the wrong car!

How to post pics!
Click for mk2 BGB

Go to topPage: 1